Why is walmart so disliked?

I am just wondering because being a marketer researcher I always hear about the problems they cause but never the good things. Do you like/dislike it and why? Also do you still shop there....there are a lot of people who despise walmart but shop there still?

Brickhouse95

Asked by Brickhouse95 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I like Walmart and think that you can find some awesome deals there as well. And...my DH works at the distribution center...so Walmart is good to us. I think that people tend to "dislike" it because they need something to gripe about. I personally despise Target because I think that they are over priced and every Target store I have ever been in is absolutely filthy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I think Wal-mart just brings out the worst in people. I have always had good customer service there for the most part! I think it is mostly the other customers that aggravate me most. I also hate that I always forget something and have to go back, and no matter if I go in for one item or ten I come out with twice as much as I intended on getting. I really do not enjoy going, unless I know what I am going for, and yes I still shop there!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It's b/c of the fact that they are forcing mom and pop shops out of business and they do alot of underhanded type business tactics. But what people don't realize is that there are many companies that do this...they're just better at hiding it. IMO anyways
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Watch the movie "High Cost of Low Prices" and you'll get a sense of why so many do not like Walmart. It's not just about the service-- the people who work at Walmart are hard-working and sincere. It's their corporate mentality and how they treat their employees that causes ill will. They recently had to settle a lawsuit filed because they forced their workers to work overtime and refused to pay them. Considering that the Waltons consistently make the richest people on the planet list, such practices are despicable. They are also one of the only companies that do not pay their employees adequate healthcare, and actually encourage them to sign up for public assistance. So while you may be paying $1 less for that item, you're actually paying more in taxes that go to subsidize their unfair labor practices.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 5:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I saw the "high cost of low cost" and was disgusted by what I saw that Wal Mart is doing, but the fact of the matter is it really is all I could afford so I do shop there, if I boycott Wal Mart its not going out of business, its affordable and I can't afford to shop somewhere else really, although I do prefer Target is higher cost, and if I can afford it that week for certain items I go to Target, I love Target and I have never been to a filthy one, to me Wal mart is usually the filthy one and always crowded. I also like the clothes for my daughter from Target and my clothes I get from Wal Mart
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 5:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• they're an evil empire trying to take over the world. lol.

seriously, what busymom said.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 5:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Personally, I think the above is a load of bull. I know of many, many people who work for walmart and who get better and cheaper healthcare than my father, for example, who works for a trucking company...

And as far as public assistance, less than 1% of tax dollars go to PA. I'm sorry but workers at Walmart, Target, JC Penney, Sears, Macy's, etc. ALL qualify for PA.

I wonder how people would feel if they knew that the Army encourages soldiers to sign up for public assistance.

What I don't like about walmart can be said for EVERY other store in America. That so many products are made outside of the US. Especially China. But walk into any store, and look around. That's just the way it is anymore.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I have seen the movie hi cost of low prices...we watched it in a business class. I have no comment on that movie....I do not remember who made but I think they may be related to Micheal Moore!
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 5:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I will only shop in Wal Mart if it is late at night and nothing else is open. As I don't go out of town to shop there, I am only using my experience at my local store. That being said, the service sucks, you can never find any help when you need it and when you do they have a crappy attitude. The aisles are cluttered. They have 25 checkout lanes and only open 6 of them, 8-10 lanes if it's Christmas, therefore I have to wait in line forever to check out. We do not have self check outs at our store. I buy my groceries at a grocery store and toiletries at the dollar store. I may have to pay a little more for the groceries, but I never have to wait in line very long b/c they will open every lane if needed and the customer service is great.
    Maryellen

Answer by Maryellen at 9:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My law firm used to represent Walmart. We ended up letting them go as a client because they would insist on engaging in illegal employment practices and try to get us to figure out a way to make it legal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2009