Does anyone have experience with handling a child with antisocial personality disorder?

My daughter is 7, she has been seeing a psychiatrist for two years because of bad conduct and behavior. The psych. has said he thought she had bipolar disorder, but her pediatrician thinks it is the APD. That sounds more likely, given the things she does. She is constantly lying, stealing, and well, she doesn't care. I guess the worst has been stealing $400 from her aunt the other day... and she's seven! Her behavior has gotten so out of control, despite different discipline techniques, that my husband is ready to leave and move out... he wants to take our youngest daughter and get her away from her sister so she doesn't pick up the same kind of bad traits and habits. The pediatrician is also sending us for an EEG this week because it's all SO bad, they think something might be wrong in her brain. I'm at a loss and don't know what to do anymore... nothing works. Please, any advice is much appreciated!

atmackenzie

Asked by atmackenzie at 4:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't have any experience on the situation but please don't give up on her and don't let your Husband. Don't EVER give up on figuring out what is truly the cause and always get a second opinion.

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• An EEG isn't going to show behavior problems. A pediatrician is not trained in neurological or behavioral disorders.

I'd stick to a trained professional. If you don't agree with the psychologist then see another...a pediatric one for a second opinion.

I'd never take the word of a medical doctor in cases like these...not his alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• um....I don't mean to be horrible about this. But this is a fact: FACT, children cannot be diagnosed with a personality disorder. By the nature of a personality disorder it must be a life long characteristics/behaviors/responses. Since she only has seven years of life, it is not possible to be diagnosed with a personality disorder. I'm thinking you need to switch to a new doctor ASAP. I do know whack jobs who would diagnos something so rediculous. Of course they are crazy....so find a new doctor. If your daughter is having mental health/behavioral issues a licensed professional who has experience in pediatirc mental disorders is most prefered. I won't bore you with the details - but you are not seeing a truly qualified person if they have given a diagnosis of ASPD to a seven year old. My coworkers will laugh their asses off tomorrow when I tell them.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2009