Didn't Jesus say: "Remove the plank from your own eye befor trying to remove the speck from your brother's."?

...or something like that?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes. Matthew 7:3-5
    3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Yes.

But some people interpret this as saying you cannot judge someone with the same TYPE of sin (i.e. I can't judge someone for gluttony while I have a 2,000 calorie cheeseburger hanging out of my mouth -poor example but it's the only one I can think of lol).

I interpret it as entailing ALL sin as a whole. I should not judge another person who has sin as long as I am unrepentant of my own. Repentance is not a one-time-thing-never-sin-again. We continually mess up. This is why I don't judge anyone who sins but expect us all to speak and share opinions in kindness and help each OTHER to grow. Not me Lording my righteousness over another person not accepting there's anything in my life I need to change just because they have a particular sin that I don't happen to be guilty of.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Very good, NL!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• problem is when we come to a sister or brother to show them the way out they cry JUDGMENT .... many do not understand or know the difference between correcting and judging . It is really OFFENSE that comes into play . When Jesus spoke to the rich man the man asked him what must I do to follow you I have obeyed all the laws and Jesus said go give all you have to the poor he walked away offended because he was rich and wanted to hold on to it.. Jesus never said Well you are rich and that is wrong get rid of it. He knew how to correct the man and it was that mans choice to accept or reject it. It is about obedience as well.
    We are to point each other to the right direction but some peoples perceptions well are just perceptions and they will see it all as judging instead of someone helping them.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Yes it does. But everyone has a different take on it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• how can you remove the rafter from your brothers eye when you have one in yours
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 6:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Yes, he did,and OP, you might do well to abide by it as well, with all these silly bait questions you have posted!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Anon :58,

How am I baiting?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Shaneagle777 says it all
    meagain_age55

Answer by meagain_age55 at 1:24 AM on Aug. 5, 2009