Do you believe in miracles? (atheists and others : )

I wanted to ask this question of atheists, but it is open to everyone.

As an atheist (or insert your belief here) do you believe in miracles? Obviously you don't believe in God supernaturally interceding. So do you believe they are things that happen as a result of mental powers? Or do you think they are just misunderstood commonplace events.

I was reading some things by Richard Dawkins, and one thing he said was that we need to renounce a belief in the miraculous. He went on to say "The Virgin Birth, the Resurrection, the raising of Lazarus, even the Old Testament miracles, all are freely used for religious propaganda, and they are very effective with an audience of unsophisticates and children. Every one of these miracles amounts to a violation of the normal running of the natural world."

I am not saying we should believe all miracles, but do believe they are possible? And if the natural laws can bend, why?

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 5:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am an atheist because I don't believe that there is a deity who can intervene. I am a witch because I recognize that the universal conciousness can bring about incredible things. I don't believe in supernatural things as miracles. Just the normal functioning of that conciousness of which we are all a part.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 2:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Oh, and I don't want to argue at all, I just wanted your opinions on miracles.

And to my Christian brothers and sisters who might be offended by Dawkin's quote, please don't be offended. Everyone knows he can be offensive, LOL. I am a proudly "unsophisticated" Christian : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I absolutely do :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Well, I'm not an atheist, but I'll answer anyway. :o) I'm Roman Catholic and I believe in miracles. I also believe that God speaks to us if we just listen hard enough.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I'm not Athiest... I'm pagan. And yes, I believe in miracles... The Gods work in mystirious ways and don't always tell up their plans!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Meh. As an agnostic atheist, I don't think it's my piddly little place to say for sure whether miracles exist. I do believe in just happening to be at the right place at the right time, or blind dumb luck. Like if someone is diagnosed with breast cancer, and after treatment they beat it and the cancer goes away. Some see that as a miracle. I don't. I see it as being lucky, and proof that modern medicine is a good thing.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Heck yes I believe in Miracles and no way I will renounce it.. I believe in the Supernatural realm wooo wheee!!! I wanna walk in it fully!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• No, I don't believe in miracles. They are good coincidences. The natural laws cannot bend. The only reason it sometimes SEEMS like they do is because we, as humans, do not completely understand the natural laws yet.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 5:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• No, I don't believe the natural laws can bend. But I do believe that we don't yet fully understand all the natural laws, so things that may seem like miracles now, may someday be explained in a natural way.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• i agree with metalcowgirl and my2.5boys :)
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 5:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2009