Do you leave your child alone in the bathtub?

If you do, here's one more reason not to: my three year old had a seizure (first one ever) on Sunday. She was sort of tired while getting her bath, then suddenly started shaking and then went limp. If I hadn't been there, she could have drown very quickly. Scary stuff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• You can drown in 2 inches of water. It is never safe to leave a small child unattended!
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 5:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I only put this because there was a daily buzz not too long ago, and several women said they leave their children alone, as long as they can hear the child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Wow, that's scary. My daughter is too young to be left in the bath by herself.

My parents supervised me until I was about nine, when I hit puberty and grew boobs, LOL! Then I started taking showers.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Hearing a child doesn't give you enough time to react, even if it isn't drowning, my kids like to stand up and injuries can happen without drowning. Those mothers are idiots. I think my mom sat with me and my brother up until we were school age at least.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 5:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I let my son play in his tub but I sit on a chair in the bathroom and talk to him. I never leave him alone.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 5:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My 5 year old, yes, I do leave him unattended for short amounts of time. I feel I can do so with him because he has been taught what is and is not appropriate bath tub behavior. I know he can be trusted to be left a lone for short amounts of time in the bath tub. If I didn't feel I could trust him or he ever broke that trust I would sit in there with him again. My 19 months old i do still sit with. she is still learning and would bust her head open! When she proves I can trust her I will leave her alone for short amounts of time also. She is a little dare devil though so she may not bathe alone until she is 10! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Yes I do sometimes...

I'm never more than 5-10 feet away and I can hear them at ALL times. My 2 and 4 year old bathe together.

I tend to sit in the hallway and fold clothes. The bathroom in this house is barely big enough for a person to turn around in, otherwise I'd fold clothes in the bathroom.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Yes, I do, even my 3yo and I will continue to. A seizure is unpredictable and I just can't live my life worrying about every whatif that could possibly happen. And I have a child who has seizures (she's 6). My older kids (6, 7 and 9) not only shower by themselves but turn the water on and everything. Then again, they don't take baths since our tub is cracked. Only showers for all of them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My baby, never!!! My son is 8 he takes showers. He dont want me in there lol
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 7:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My son is 4 and I only leave him for short periods of time .. Never more than a minute at a time. I am way too paranoid. There is no reason a small child should be left alone while in the bathtub.. I mean seriously, what is SO important that you have to leave a young child (Under 5 especially) alone while they are taking a bath? Most things can wait or should be done before putting the child in the bath tub.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2009