what would you do?

I have an 8 month old whom I'm BFing. In the last month and a half he has been biting me all the time, he draws blood sometimes. I tried nipple sheilds, but then he wouldn't nurse. After that I took him off the breast and started pumping and putting the milk in bottles. The problem is I have a crappy manual pump, it takes 20 minutes to get one bottle then another 20 minutes for him to drink it. I work and have other kids so spending all my time pumping and feeding feels like I'm neglecting the rest of my family. My DH doesn't help with "mom stuff". I have burned up 2 electric pumps, I was going to buy a really good pump and my DH freaked out because I was going to spend $500 on a pump. He's the one who insistes I BF anyway, I love nursing, but WTF??? He thinks I need to just suck it up and feed the baby. Would you keep it up or switch to formula, or buy a new pump and tell him to F off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• id switch to formula personally. Thats a long time to breastfeed ur baby will be fine if u decide to switch. Idk ur finacial situation but i couldnt get myself to spend 500 on a pump.
    kmb09

Answer by kmb09 at 5:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I'd tell him to f-off and buy a good breast pump...although, I got an awesome pump from my in-laws, it was a good $250 Medela dual electric pump, worked wonders!!

maybe he should try feeding a baby with bleeding, sore nipples!!!!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 5:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• ok theres a couple options. again not knowing your financial situation, but most WIC programs will lend you a breast pump and they're they good Medela pumps carliemarie is talking about. i read an article once that said when baby starts biting to lightly press him to your breast and he should quit. of course you have to repeat it a few times. i think the same theory would work with lightly blowing (bc they stop to hold breath) and sayin "no" firmly. if you still have no luck either way then you could start with formula. i know what you mean bout crappy breast pump thats how i bout dried up on my honeymoon lol anyway good luck!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• This is all about personal preference. You husband does not get to decide whether you BF or not. It is something we as women have to do and its our decision. I have never had either of my children bite me but if you are having that you can try different techniques like I've heard of blowing on their face or just telling them not to bite. I have no clue if any of this works. If you can't get it to stop and your husband won't let you get a decent pump then maybe it is time for formula. Good luck!
    vickilouise85

Answer by vickilouise85 at 6:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I looked into renting one from WIC or the hospital, but they serve low-income families first. I'll try your tips though! :)Thanks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I have barely used my breast pump. It is top of the line I paid 350 for it I will sell it for 150.
    QuintinsMom520

Answer by QuintinsMom520 at 7:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• You could rent a breast pump from a local hospital or babies r' us. Not sure how much that costs. I wouldn't invest 500$ because you will probably only use it for another 3 months. It may be time to start supplementing with formula. It's your decision.
    ariesfool

Answer by ariesfool at 8:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't "suck it up", but I'd get in touch with someone who could help me with the biting situation, LLL most likely, and continue to nurse.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My daughter bites me too but only when she is really tired or teething really bad. I just push her close so she has to pull off the breathe. Tellin her NO firmly just upsets her and really starts to cry.....doesn't work too well. I'd try to rent one or suppliment...all of this is your choice...your body...not his...tll him to F off and step up and help........you and your sore nipple can't do everything on your own
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 11:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My son bites sometimes, too, so I scream "OW!" (usually my reaction), and he freaks out and starts crying. It makes him stop, though. If he doesn't freak out, I break the latch with my finger, pull him off, sit him on my lap, look at him and tell him biting is NOT okay, and that if he does it again, we're done for this session. Then I put him back on, and if he bites again, I break him off, and put him on the floor. He may get upset, but since I started doing this, he bites WAY less. It does get worse when he is getting a new tooth, or he's not feeling well, and that's normal, but I do just try to push through it, and it's not always easy. If you can't bear to put him on the breast anymore, I would look into a good pump (easier to justify if you plan to have another baby!). I agree with the suggestion of looking into LLL, or even find a local lactation specialist or consultant. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:51 AM on Aug. 5, 2009