Our government is too stupid to wreck a car engine?

The GlobalWarmers in D.C. wrote text in the "Cash for Clunkers" law mandating the dealers destroy the engine of the cars traded-in. Rather than bow to the experience and knowledge of those in the industry, our Vaunted Public Officials then mandate HOW the engine should be destroyed.

Gummint Solution:
Add Sodium silicate to the crankcase, and run the engine until the "sand" destroys it. Cost? About $250 per car.
Pollution? Beaucoup gunk to deal with.

Mechanics solution:
Drain the crankcase and radiator. Start the car.
Pollution? None.

Texas Solution:
1 shot from my new .50 Cal. pistol.

Even if you miss, the wind from the bullet will scare the car to death...

Y'know, I don't mind that they are stupid in D.C., but I really object that they think they are so-ooooo smart.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• hahahahaha love it!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 6:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• BB is that you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Ha ha!! Being from Texas, I like the Texas solution!

Our local dealerships have caught some flack. Our air quality is monitored and they have all kinds of rules for what you can do when. Right now the air quality is poor because of 2 different forest fires. They can't do anything with the cash 4 clunkers until the air clears up...so they can dirty it up again....!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It is to bad they weren't smart enough to "harvest" parts. They could have set up a clearinghouse for those with low income to get auto parts from.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• You CAN harvest the parts. The salvage yards get 180 days to crush the cars. Up till then, the cars can be parted out EXCEPT for the engines and the frames. Everything else is fair game.

I have that from a salvage yard operator I interviewed this morning.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• wasted money and resources just adding to the problems of our current conditions...
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 6:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• i bet they paid MANY consultants too for this incredible idea!!!!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 6:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

It is still a waste. When I was a kid my Mom was always stressed about our car. It was the engine that had issues, not the fender!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• "It is still a waste. When I was a kid my Mom was always stressed about our car. It was the engine that had issues, not the fender!"

I do see your point. Of course, we're also talking about fairly wasteful engines. Too bad we can't replace the engines with something more fuel efficient.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:26 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• LMAO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Aug. 5, 2009