how to start saving up money with a baby here?dont bash please!

ok i dont have any money saved up.hubby doesnt have a steady job but does some things off the books and has a little bit of money saved up.hes been trying to find a job but its so hard to find one because of this damn economy a lot of places arent even hiring.i have my security license and im planning to work in the day and hes going to work at night.how can i start up a savings account and all that because i truly refuse too not let my child struggle.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• Put a certain amount from EVERY check into a savings account! Even $20!!! Just something and don't touch it. Then, when you get extra $ (like tax returns) put that $ into savings! It at least gets you started and as you get more raises or move up, you can put a little more in. Also, if you get paid twice a month, that's min $40 in savings from 1 month. After a year, it's almost $500. Start little, get used to putting money in there and slowly put more in when you can afford it! Don't take money back out and before putting $ in there, make a budget you can stick to! GL!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Open up a savings account and have a portion of every paycheck deposited (through direct deposit) into that account. Even if it is $10 a week, that is over $500 a year.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Just save as much as you can from every paycheck you get. Set a goal and stick with it. A little bit adds up to a lot in just a few years.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 6:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Sounds silly, but it truly adds up....if your check is $784.79, take the $4.79 and put that in a piggy bank for your child. That leaves you with an even amount to start off with to pay the bills and buy the necessities and then you can up the amount from there, as you get caught up and get on your feet you could take the $14.79 leaving yourself with $770....and so and so forth. I know it sounds petty and ridiculous, but we did this and it really adds up quickly. Not to mention a little something is better than nothing at all....good luck to you! Sometimes I even got it all in change and put it in the piggy bank and then every few months I would take the coins in and make a deposit to the account...You can open accounts at many banks for kiddos for as little as $25 and there is no minimum balance requirement either. Just another thought for ya. :)
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 6:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• aside from saving money, you can spend less by making your own baby food. It's (more healthy) and far less expensive to puree your own fruits and vegetables (organic is still cheaper than jar bought baby food),. You can make up ind. portions in ice cube trays and freeze them.

Also, you can make lots of other (also more organic) baby products that cost so much less than the boughten varieties. Try checking the ideas out at the library. Hope that helps too. Maybe that can help you save the actual $ too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• sorry you're goin through that, i know it's hard, i'm 7months and i don't have any money saved either, eeeee! just try and write up a budget on paper, don't buy things you don't need. if you're not getting help from dept. human services, go apply for food stamps and whatever else you can get. good luck and god bless.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 7:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• thanks you all ! you gave me some really good ideas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Hi! We are a family of 7 so I know cutting corners! Honestly, I tried putting a little money out of our paychecks back, but when you have a family of 7, you need every penny you have per week. We don't eat out, we don't rent movies, entertainment for my children is playing outside. I am a coupon cutter, I make my own cleaning supplies from vingar and water (I know..very oldschool), and I cook everything from scratch. I did eventually start my own home business, which has helped alot..give me a call if you would like details on that. I would just try to start saving by cutting out any extras that you don't need...if you have any. I do belong to a great Frugel Spending site that gives a lot of great info on how to save money, but I need to go look up the site link for you. Email me for it at reaching100K@yahoo.com.
    Reaching100K

Answer by Reaching100K at 6:10 AM on Aug. 5, 2009