Would you still charge the same?

If you were doing some babysitting m-f what if one day they do not show up do you still charge the parent I mean you are in your own home and using everything in the house (light, food, etc.) If they were to skip aday the chld comes all week then the next week they only come for 3 days to you charge for the 2 days they did not come or not? I just feel alot of parents are taking advantage of me it is making me upset. Not to mention sometimes they don't even call to let me know if the child is coming or going to be late...how rude..I am doing them a favor...some people I swear.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• You really should have the payment schedule worked out in advance. When I took my son to daycare it was pay every week the same price whether he comes or not or else he gives up his spot. You need to be firm with these parents it's not personal, it's business. The fee is the same every week no matter what. You also need to set a firm time frame...they may come between these specific hours no exceptions. If they are late to pick them up, then they pay a late fee. I think you should treat this situation like a business and not let these parents take advantage of you.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• yea unless they give you advance notice then the right thing for them to do is pay you. after all, you could have changed your plans just to watch their kids, why should you lose out?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I think you need to have that nailed down with them beforehand. I watched a little boy for a month, and I charged by the hour, because some days I couldn't watch him and sometimes he didn't need care, etc.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 6:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• This is why you should have a contract with all of your customers.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Yes if it's not a emergency they should be able to give you notice of what they will be doing for the next week. Even though it is in your home, you still rely on those payments and for someone to short you on a whim whenever should be limited to so many days unless it's a emergency.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 6:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2009