How long should I wait?

How long should I wait to give my baby the bottle? I mean I'm going to breast feed, but when can I pump and give my baby it in a bottle so my husband can feed her?
B/c I read that mother's who breast feed should wait at least 2-3 wks b4 giving their baby a pacifier.
Just wanted to know if there was a time limit for the bottle too?

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's recommended to wait six weeks so your supply is fully established. Till then, dad can do diapers and bathing, which are both far more interesting and interactive than feeding....and much better for "bonding." **smile**

Also recommended six weeks for a pacifier. Till then, baby needs to be at the breast to ensure supply.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• about 30 days... I gave my DD a bottle too soon and she never went back to me.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• The sooner you give a bottle, the sooner you may have problems keeping your flow up. A pump will not be as effective as a nursing newborn. As long as you plan on doing this infrequently you can start as soon as 2 weeks but I'd wait 4 weeks to be on the safe side. Once your milk comes in you will be engourged, I'd start pumping off the excess then to save up for DH.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't really call it a "limit" but you if you are going to start breastfeeding first, wait until that is well-established....about a week or so, sometimes a few days longer. 2-3 weeks is plenty of time, but 7-10 days if you are exclusively breastfeeding is fine. You'll be anxious to do it so that other people like your SO can feed the baby. Good luck!
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 6:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• "You'll be anxious to do it so that other people like your SO can feed the baby. "

Keep in mind that for every time someone else feeds the baby, you have to pump.

When people ask to help, have them do a chore. Really. Chores and casseroles are the price of admission to see a new baby, except for those too young or too old to do either.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• "When people ask to help, have them do a chore. Really. Chores and casseroles are the price of admission to see a new baby, except for those too young or too old to do either"

Good advise as when you let them feed, and then you have to go pump, you are taking twice the time as normal so they should help out as well. Also, don't feel the need to HAVE to let them feed the baby. It's your choice and if you don't want to, then don't.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• A pump is actually just as effective as a nursing newborn, if you are using it correctly. Don't really know where people get that from! ...... :- / The best manual pump is either the Dr. Brown or the Avent Isis. The Isis is a very good pump. Medela and Ameda Purely Yours are very good electric pumps. Pumps do work very well when they are used correctly. A lot of moms are quick to say the pumps don't work well. That is usually because the moms are not using them correctly. A lot of effort goes into nursing and pumping. It's not as simple as it seems, it takes some work. Don't give up,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• "A pump is actually just as effective as a nursing newborn, if you are using it correctly. Don't really know where people get that from! ...... "

Maybe because I wanted to know how much my baby was eating so I weighed her before and after and she always had 2-3 oz more in her than I could pump. I have a Medela dual and noticed over time that I consistantly pumped less and less while Daughter was still weighing heavier each time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• We started at around 4 weeks. Be sure that you are not in sight when someone introduces the bottle to your baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• my daughter had a bottle of formula for the first time when she was 2 days old b/c she had to stay in the hospital an extra day. I never had any problems breast feeding.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 7:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2009