What do you think about the best way to reduce your carbon footprint is to have less kids?

I heard this on the news tonight. Don't get me wrong, I'm very pro-environment (both my parents work for the Environmental Protection Agency) but I'm not going to have less kids because of this. I do a lot in other ways to help my Earth.21

HolliBerry21

Asked by HolliBerry21 at 6:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• funny, my hubby & i were talking about this last week, maybe it's been in the news lately. My hubby says yes. I say no. Hubby says if poeple were to stop having such large families (more than 5 or 6), then there would be less strain on the worlds food surplus, and things like that. My debate was that a large family could recycle, grow some of their own foods in their garden, use only two vehicle for the whole family, use recyled goods, and so on. In that same senerio, you have a family of two adults with two kids who don't recycle, all four have cars, buy lots of food at the grocery store and throw away a lot b/c they didn't eat it, or throws out leftovers, wastes a lot of consumer goods, and so on...which family is leaving the carbon footprint more? I know a family like the later. So far, we are a family of 3. We want to have more b/c we can afford it, but we will always still be as "green" as we can.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 6:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It makes sense, but I'm going to have exactly as many children as I want to have.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 6:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It does make sense but we had two because we could afford two.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I would guess the rich with multiple houses and cars and no kids have a larger footprint than those of us who are middle class with a few kids, one smaller house and smaller cars. So it does not make a whole lot of sense to me!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Sorry about the 21 at the end. my daughter hit the keys as I submitted the question.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 6:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I was raised that you only have one child to replace you and one to replace your husband. So 2 kids, and no, you don't have multiple dads to have more kids. So I plan on 2 bio kids, and then adopt more.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 9:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2009