Rice Cereal in Bottle

My doctor told me to start putting cereal in my sons bottle, the only question i have is i always have his bottles ready to go in the fridge. Can i put the cereal in it when i make the bottles or should i wait until he eats them?

mccurry328

Asked by mccurry328 at 6:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've done both but it seems to work better if you make it fresh. When you put it in the fridge the consistency changes for some reason.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 6:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• don't add it until right before you give it. Also, don't make it very thick as this is linked to ear problems.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Mix it fresh...
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I would wait or it might get too thick
    tabby_edwards

Answer by tabby_edwards at 6:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• One other thing. Mixing cereal in before it's needed does something to the nutrients in the milk/formula as well.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It will get really thick if you make it ahead of time. You can make the bottle then right before you feed him add it in. Just keep in mind that you will need to put a different nipple that is faster flow cause the bottle will be thicker I did'nt think of that.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 6:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Get a new doctor!! Cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/tipcerealinbottle.htm

"We know that many are probably tempted to try the old "cereal in the bottle" trick to gain an extra 1 hour (heck even an extra 20 minutes.) of sleep. We also know that this is one of the biggest and possibly one of the most dangerous practices you could engage in.

It is not a good idea because you may throw the "I'm full" instinct off kilter; more importantly, babies have been known to aspirate cereal when cereal is mixed in a bottle with formula or breast milk. Babies who are younger than 4-6 months old seldom know how to properly swallow anything other than breast milk or formula and gulping or "inhaling" a bottle with cereal in it may have deadly consequences. "

Answer by Bmat at 6:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Did rkoloms and bmat read that her doctor recommended it? Do you know why? Might it be because the baby has reflux? You don't know do you?

She doesn't need to get a new doctor, and she doesn't need the "dangers" and myths of cereal in a bottle pointed out to her. She is doing this under the direction of her doctor.

Back off. Go learn how to read and comprehend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I am not doing this to get my baby to sleep longer, i am doing this because i was instructed to by my childs physician. My doctor has her reasons im sure and i have to say that her advice (since she does have a medical degree), ranks a little higher than some peoples biased opinions. He has severe reflux and im sure that has something to do with her reasoning. I asked a simple question about the preparation after i clearly stated that my doctor recommended this, for those who answered what i asked, Thank you.
    mccurry328

Answer by mccurry328 at 8:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2009