How much do people really add to their budget doing Scentsy and other home party plans? (Work From Home)

I am not interested in pie-in-the-sky figures, I want to know what the average mom out there is making per party and per month. My husband desperately wants to add some money to our monthly budget and after much searching the only really good option for me is a party plan. Now, he's just starting to search though all this stuff, so, God love him, it'll be another month before he comes to the same conclusion. When I brought it up to him a couple nights ago, he is under the impressioin that no body makes any money doing parties, and I'd like to have some facts and figures for him when this gets brought up again in a few weeks. Just in general, feel free to email me through my profile with you opportunity and the details of how the compensation plan works. I'm very interested in Scentsy, but I'm not 100% sold yet.

Thank You!

IrishMommaC

Asked by IrishMommaC at 6:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• I do $500 to $1000 not including my product discounts, I do it for fun not because I have too though :)
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 2:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Reality is you don't make a heck of a lot with direct selling/party plan companies. Those you know will only host so many parties, and usualy you may have 15 people say they will come and only 3 show....and order the cheapest things in the catalog out of obligation. Finding hostesses is not easy!

A friend of my husband signed up with Partylite with his girlfriend, he was so excited and talking about the 6 shows they booked and how they are going to make so much money....4 shows cancelled because hardly anyone said they'd come and the other two were wash outs. They spent money getting catalogs and more samples for shows and ended leaving 5 months later almost $1,000 in the hole.

You'd have better luck selling outgrown clothes on ebay and going to thrift stores, yard sales and clearance racks for name brand baby items and selling them on eBay than attempting a party plan!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I totally agree with Mom2Jack04. It is a tough business. I tried to sell arbonne ( a whole pyramid scheme). I did the whole bit...write down 100 people I knew, call and ask them to host parties. I got one party scheduled, 3 people showed up and I had spent so much on catalogs, make-up, skin care kits, etc. I ended up spending $2600 and made about $200 in all. Not a very good return on my initial investment. It is really tough to do these kind of businesses trust me. My SIL wants me to get into "romance parties" which I assume do a little better because they are geared toward Bachelorette parties and stuff, but my answer is always the same. No Way Jose!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I would agree with mom2jack about MOST party companies, however I do think Scentsy is the exception. The biggest reason they are the exception is that it's $100 for a kit and their products are NOT expensive. Partylite and most of these companies charge a lot of money for their products. However, with Scentsy the price is low - esp compared to other "party companies". I was only a Scentsy rep for a few months and I didn't make a huge effort. But just from doing half a dozen parties and selling to family members I made over $500 (after deducting the costs of catalogs and signing up). I really didn't put a lot of effort into it - but it was super easy to sell.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 11:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Hi,
    I was in the same situation, needed extra income to support my 4 kids.

I became an independent sale rep for Avon. Its a reputable company, that pretty much everyone in the world knows the name. It takes only $10 to start up your own business and skies the limit on your sales. Start out with up to 50% sales commission on your first 2 months of sales. What other company offers that? Avon even has a savings incentive plan.
    You get out of it, what you put in to it. So your commission can be very rewarding if you put the time in to get your catalogs out there and get a client base going.

Discounts galore on awesome products, no parties if you chose not to have any, work your own hours, and best of all you can do this from home.

Please visit my web store or email me for more info...I'd love to sign you up! www.youravon.com/hplatt or hp9698@gmail.com
    Best of luck and I hope to hear from you soon! Heather
    hlplatt

Answer by hlplatt at 11:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• LOL and I sold Avon for years....I was featured in the newsletter with my marketing ideas several times, hob-knobed with the ceo and top earners at award ceremonies and such, but reality is very few make money. You have to get hundreds of brochures and maybe get 1-5 new customers who order ONE mascara or ONE lip balm, you don't earn a lot of money. Plus the 50% commission is only on core products, all the jewelry, and gift items and such are not Avon made and are a flat 20%! Most campaigns I owed more than I earned!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:38 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• For anyone looking to work from home...it can be done, but I would advise you to start your own business doing something you personally love and are good at. I'm a freelance writer, and my income is growing. (copywriter, not magazines! Although you can do that too). A lot of businesses can be done from a home office, a few include writers, web designers, graphic designers, programmers, photographers, pet sitters, etc... If you have to learn a new trade then consider it. The income potential for copywriters is 50K a year and up. Granted, I have a long way to go before I get there because I'm still getting started and learning new skills.... but I will. You should really consider what you love to do, and find a way to do it for as little up front investment as possible. Start out slowly and work up. I tried a home party business once as well, and very few people make the kind of money that makes much difference.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 5, 2009