abusing the system

OK, my cousin is driving me crazy. She has 2 kids, works full time, and gets child support. She makes enough money to run her household and is very good with money. However, she qualifies for state assistance so she feels she needs it. Then spends her money on trendy clothes, tattoos, concerts, and anything else you can think of. She told me that she pays $400 a month for her cell, internet, and cable. I'll quote her, "Funny, huh, that's what I get in food stamps!" I find this attitude so frustrating. What about screening people to make sure they really need the help? What about all the folks getting laid off that need help and don't get it? Why not give more help to the disabled or elderly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• why wouldn't the laid off get help?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• The state runs out of money, I had a friend who was told he couldn't get unemployment because they didn't have any money. Then ran into another person who was laughing about not having a job but still getting money, he said it was better than vacation.
    To answer the question: yes, I hate people like that. My husband wont talk to his sister because she moved without having a new job (made lots of bad choices in a row for no good reason) and is now on government assistance.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• If she qualifies than she needs it. IMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• no one needs a 400.00 cell bill, tattoos or trendy clothes anon
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 7:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• or concerts mamakrs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Anon...just because someone qualifies doesn't mean they SHOULD use it.
    My co-worker qualified for WIC.......ok not un common. She used program to buy groceries....fine.
    Then would turn around and spend 70.00 on a purse, and fly to Vegas for the weekend.

Meanwhile, my SO and I both work full time, barely scape by. and don't qualify for assistance because we make too much money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

_______________________
    So we should just sit around and wait for people to develop morals and get off welfare? I am not on welfare but I am in America and people dont give a shit about anyone. If they can get it, they will take it. So their is no reason to be upset about it. It will always happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Ya know what anon at :41, you hit the nail right on the head...however sad that is. You are correct.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 7:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• people do what they think is best for them even if in the long run it hurts others. this country is based on me and mine. not on helping those around them, get use to people like your friend anon. she is one of many!!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 7:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• So we should just sit around and wait for people to develop morals and get off welfare? I am not on welfare but I am in America and people dont give a shit about anyone. If they can get it, they will take it. So their is no reason to be upset about it. It will always happen.

I have plenty of reasons to be upset about it. I pay a fortune in taxes. I have a special needs child those dollars would be better spent on.

It doesn't always have to happen. They can turn OFF the FREE flowing faucet.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2009