Should I spend the money on our 10 year anniversary party?

We never do anything to celebrate any holiday or special occasion. Yet we are constantly spending money and have nothing saved. I guess I want to ask would you spend money inviting 50 friends for a celebration of your anniversary?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• personally, i wouldn't spend that kind of money. you should do something for just the two of you.
    kidnap your husband after work, and take him to a hotel or motel room that you've already rented and taken a basket to, a basket that has a bottle of champagne or sparkling cider or sparkling grape juice and 2 toasting goblets, and any kind of picnic that the two of you would like bread, cheese and fruit or rotisserie chicken and your husband's favorite salad of yours and loaf of french bread, and your husband's fave cookie or brownie or other sweet. take a boombox or whatever you use for your favorite music, or if you have baby you may have to work around the baby but i know of nursing mother who managed something similar by having a friend their and they waited till after the babies bedtime feeding before they left.
    katcatlc

Answer by katcatlc at 8:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Being that I didn't get a wedding outside the courthouse, yes. I got to pick out my ring, and we spent almost 3k on it. And yes, I'll be having a 5 yr anniversary.

I don't know if I know 50 people to invite...

But if you have the means to save for it, go for it! That 10 yr anniversary only comes once!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• If you have nothing saved, I don't think a party is a wise way to spend money.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• A party is a wonderful thing...but it can't help you cover an emergency like cash in the bank. Perhaps you could split the difference. Have a more informal celebration at your home.. a BBQ even and bank the remainder you would have spent on a bigger party.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I would put the party money in a retirement account; your old age will (G-d willing) last longer than your 10th anniversary.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• or to save even more money your getaway could be to your own room!

look up mary hunt on the net, she's got a blog money rules, debt stinks, and a newsletter and daily email lots of good info on getting some savings and how to plan ahead for xmas. look her up!!!
    katcatlc

Answer by katcatlc at 9:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2009