At what age should a child be sleeping at night in underwear?

My daughter has been fully potty trained during the day for a year but her pull ups at night are always full. We have stopped giving her drinks at night but in the morning they are still full of pee. My daughter will be 4 September 2nd.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Once she starts waking up to go potty and has no accidents at night for awhile. My neice (12) just started having accidents again. She sleeps hard and doesn't realize that she's peeing. Instead of making her feel humiliated, they just get her the goodnights until she starts realizing it again.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It really depends on the child my dd was potty trained (day time) at 18 mons and hasn't wore a diaper to bed for a few months but she will get up on her own through out the night to potty have you tried waking up in the early a.m and putting her on the potty? Thats how I started my dd, she'll be 3 sept 12
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 7:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Oh and what time do you cut off drinks? My DD goes to bed at 830 so she gets no drinks after 700
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Kids can wet the bed up to age twelve. She will get there eventually. Just let her be trained for the daytime for now and as she wakes up dry each night congradulate her and then before you know it she will be trained.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• The longer you keep pullups on her at night, the longer she will continue to pee in them. They know they have that "protection" there with pullups. What I just did was put my son in regular underwear and prepared myself to clean up accidents we only had maybe 3 accidents, if that once he realized he got wet if he peed in his underwear he started either waking up during the night to pee or he'd hold it until he got up the next morning. He was 3 when we started this and have only had a handful of accidents. Also, he takes a full bottle of water to bed with him as well so it doesn't really have much to do with them peeing during the night.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• some kids just wet the bed until they are like 12 or 13 yo and it's not their fault. i make my son try to pee right before he goes to bed and he wakes up dry..... but i know my hubby's daughter still has issues with night time wetting and she is a year older than him. i think some kids can't help it. but when she is fully trained at night she shouldn't sleep in underwear..... you need to air out at night is how my grandma used to put it. it's good to sleep in just your pjs and no panties so you won't get a yeast infection or anything like that :)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My son had the same issue. He just turned 4 in May and was sleeping in a pullup up until June. He is such a heavy sleeper that he just didn't wake up. We tried putting him in underwear thinking he knew the pullup was there, but he just woke soaked every morning and got a bed sore, so I stopped that immediately. Then it was like one morning he woke up dry, and it just continued after that. She will get there--her body just may not be ready yet. I was worried too but the dr said it was fine, and sure enough his body finally "got it" and he's fine now. I do wake him right before I go to bed though to pee one last time.
    RachelNave

Answer by RachelNave at 9:50 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• According to our pediatrician, it is not unusual to be sleeping in diapers/pull-ups until at least 5 or 6. Sometimes even longer. It's all about development. The bladder, brain, and communication between them have to all be developed enough to wake the child up. I wouldn't be worried about it.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I just left eh drs. yes. according to them its normal up to about 6 and some kids even do it until 12. I know my daughter (4 now) will even WET THROUGH the diaper (I find that they hold more pee than pull ups -- soaked every night in those) and still stay asleep.
    I did the no liquids, the take her to the bathroom (sat on toilet crying, half asleep and did NOTHING) etc.etc. So I'm just waiting till she's a little older.
    My son stopped peeing at night by 4 MONTHS (not kidding -- he would wake up dry every morning)

I believe the drs. say not every bladder and/or sleep cycle is the same.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My daughter will be 5 is in a few weeks and she is in pull ups at night. I wet the bed forever and so did my hubby. After talking with the ped he said that chances of our kids wetting for a while is very high. We take her to the bathroom every night before bed and then we take her again before we go to bed. She still wakes up wet but not every night. When she goes several days waking up dry we give her the choice of the pull ups or panties she will usually pick panties but as soon as she wets the bed she asks for her pull ups again. So we will let it be up to her so she feel some control. We also will never make it a big deal because we both understand that she doesn't want to wet the bed she just can't control it yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2009