Cash for Clunkers helping American Automakers? Your thoughts

The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers New Cars:
1. Ford Focus
2. Honda Civic
3. Toyota Corolla
4. Toyota Prius
5. Ford Escape
6. Toyota Camry
7. Dodge Caliber
8. Hyundai Elantra
9. Honda Fit
10. Chevy Cobalt
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1036/top-cash-for-clunkers-trade-ins-and-new-cars/

Anyone find it interesting that only two of the top 10 cars purchased under this program are from the Government Owned Automakers. Meanwhile the NUMBER ONE is Ford who refused bailout money. Alas the bulk of sales (6/10) are going to foreign owned automakers.

What does this say to you about American Automakers?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 7:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That they need to learn to build cars better.

It's also interesting to note that half of the top ten are Japanese, and a sixth is Korean. Detroit never learned from the last oil crisis.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• There are nearly 2 million cars sitting in surplus. This is not going to get people back to work. And the program appears to be done.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I agree gdiamante, except I think Ford has been trying to make a better product to meet the demands of consumers. It scares me to think what the "Government" thinks Chrysler and GM should build and how that will impact their business. Government involvement in anything has proven to be a sad state of affairs.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Carpy, IMO Cash for Clunkers will result in greater financial rewards... for the foreign owned NON union businesses over the American Owned Businesses and I am sure the UAW will find someone to blame before looking at themselves.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Love my Toyota!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• mancosmomma, which do you have? We are looking at getting a new car (not using CfC). We have always bought GM's in the past, but I am done with Government Motors.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• They're also getting rid of all the used cars that people bring to trade in, so people in the market for used cars are going to be screwed at some point.

The environment my azz!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

Fortunately, they don't have enough money for it to put a real dent in the used car sector. Course, that also means the entire program is a bunch of BS, but who are they to worry about little details like that.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• "Alas the bulk of sales (6/10) are going to foreign owned automakers"

Yep our money goes right out of the country... whats the purpose of this "cash for clunkers"... the money ends up going elsewhere ne way
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• That it is stupid. Most vehicles do not qualify. I feel if you have a vehicle that gets less then 25 mpg combined you should be able to participate. I have a 2000 dodge caravan. 25 mpg highway 20 town, 22 mpg combined.. I want to gov. it up and get a Mazda CX-9. Nope don't qualify. My van gets a whole 2 gallons more then the cutoff.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 9:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2009