to all experienced moms: what do you REALLY need??

All these baby books pack out a list of all the dif. types of clothes and things that I need. 6 undershirts and 4 layettes and stuff.... I'm gonna go broke buying all this stuff!! (Not literally, ha ha, I'm just saying it's a lot of stuff!!!) What do you REALLY need for the baby those first months? (I'm breast feeding)

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 8:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• New moms seem to be the target now a days. Stay away bottle warmers, they take like ten minutes to heat and there so hot they burn your hand. Same with wipe warmers just stick a few in a microwave. Swaddles, watch the nurse at the hospital with real blankets. Basseinetts are nice so the baby can sleep close to your bed, but read the weight limit on them they only hold to 15 lbs. You can save a fortune by staying away from disposable anything!!!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• a bath, diapers, clothes, and wipes. If you're having a baby shower, don't even bother buying any clothes as you'll most likely get WAY more than enough! My son is 11 months and if I didn't want to I wouldn't have to buy clothes until he's 3 just because of the shower! We have so many clothes he didn't even get to wear!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• You need diapers, wipes, receiving blankets and a few outfits. It all depends on what you need out of it. I would register for the essentials and everyone usually buys clothes. When registering I would do it for different sizes of diapers as well. I didn't have to buy diapers until my LO was 8 mos old. Congratulations.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• All you need are :Diapers, food, clothing. (Bottles if you FF.) By the time my third came we didn't use hardly anything "babywise". Things we LIKED were baby swing, bouncy chair, and baby sling. Baby toys are ok, but really teething rings are all you need. I saw this COOL thing it is a mesh pocket like thing that you can put food in and the baby sucks on it till it dissolves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Have you considered cloth diapers? They're not what they use to be! If you're interested in learning more about them please send me a message. Cloth diapering has saved us so much money it's not even funny!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• as far as clothes, if they are summer baby i used onesies constantly lol. winter baby had to have pj's too with a onesie underneath. i would definately plan on at least 2 outfits a day because babies are messy and are constantly pooping or spitting up on stuff. so i would say like 14 onesies and 14 jammies (assuming you do laundry once a week). i don't really put them in outfits until they're older LOL bc i hardly take them out when they're newborn.
    as for other stuff.....you don't really need a bathtub right away if you want to bathe them in the sink (u can do that for like the first 6 months and then they get a little too big lol), of course diapers and wipes, you don't really need a high chair until they are pretty old, a swing is nice to put them in when you need to put them down (or you could just put them in their crib or bassinet). babies don't really need a lot lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I never used my Boppy, i didn't use blankets much just warm jammies and a receiving blanket to swaddle him in, never used a changing table, ummm...i cant remember what else! Babies are pretty basic, contrary to what Babies R Us would lead you to believe! lol! There's so much useless crap out there that people spend so much money on!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 8:50 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Like the others have said, if you have a shower, you will be set on clothing. I used a ton of bibs and still do. My daughter has acid reflux and with that comes massive amounts of spit-up. I know some people do not but I use my changing table about 98% of her changes. rattles are good and get one with little handles so at about 5/6 weeks, you can work on grasping with your baby. My daughter out grew her baby tub about 6 weeks along so we switched to this little sponge that fits the baby's body that sits in the big bathtub (I love it). It was only 4 dollars at babies are us and if I would have known she would have outgrew her tub that fast, I would have just got the sponge in the first place. Babies have really dry skin after they are born so get some lotion. Just some things I found useful.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Nobody seemed to have even glanced at my registry..I either got duplicates or just clothes...So many clothes and some were not even the right season for the size...people should just give gift cards! anyway things I was glad to have : Regular diapers of course..but i also needed and still do alot of cloth diapers but used for spit up..my son is 4 months and i go through like 5 a day. Wipes but you can use a rag with warm water the first couple weeks. I liked having a bath , infant to toddler and it goes in the sink or the tub but you dont NEED it for the first month...the first couple weeksare just a sponge bath anyways....Lotion was good, and this lotion called hydrocerin was great for all of the dry dry skin from birth my son had, and even now he gets so dry on his forehead...they gave it to me at the hospital though. NEED hand sanitizer, but only the good stuff at the hospital...i stole mine off the hospital wall lol.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 10:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Man, I know what you mean. Of all the newborn and 0-3 stuff I had for my first, I only used about half of it. You just really have to fall into your own rhythm and see what you like to put your baby in. It mainly depends on what time of year you have your baby. If you have your baby in the winter, stock up on the one piece footed sleepers. My babies lived in those. Get the ones with buttons because the ones with zippers stick up funny and poke them in the face. I'm not a fan of onesies...hardly used any of them. In warm weather, I prefer the one piece outfits that have short sleeves and short pants. They aren't as naked as onesies. A lot of moms put shorts or pants over onesies, but that is more work when changing diapers.

You need lots of bibs & burp cloths. You need just a few newborn items, but more 0-3. They grow out of newborn fast, but 0-3 swallows them those first 2 weeks. You also need socks.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2009