I had my son's hearing checked cause he's only saying 3 words and he is 16 months they want to send him to speech therapy is this to soon?

His hearing was fine.

masonsmom2389

Asked by masonsmom2389 at 8:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no i started speech therapy at 18 months
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 8:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• at my hospital they don't even consider speech therapy until the kid is 2
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 8:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I think it is too early.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 8:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO, IT IS NOT TOO SOON!!

My daughter didn't say many words...in fact less than 20 at the age of 2. I kept bringing this up to her pediatrician and her pediatrician kept saying to wait and see. Finally I went behind her back and took DD to a speech therapist (thank God our insurance is not an HMO) who questioned why I didn't bring her at least 6 months earlier. Needless to say, she sees a different pediatrician now.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My DD is 14 months old and she saids like 3-5 words and it's more baby talk then words like dada, baba, hiya :~).

I'm all worried know, I will have to find out from her doctor what he thinks.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• No, it's never too soon. The sooner you can get him in there the better! Are you going through Early intervention? I am a firm believer in always always getting a second opinion and even a third if necessary especially when it comes to your children! My daughter has SPD and I figured it out on my own when she was 14 months old. My pedi told me for months before that she was normal. I went with my gut and demanded a referral to a Occupation therapist. I was right and thank God I followed my gut! She is doing great now due to therapy. The OT said that the earlier you can get them help, the better they will be!
    Elizabethsma631

Answer by Elizabethsma631 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I'd go for it. It's never going to hurt, so I never think it's a bad idea.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• NOOOOO it is NOT too soon. They will only help him get talking. Taking him won't hurt a thing!!!
    NattysMommy

Answer by NattysMommy at 11:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Idk, my dd said "mama, dada and ball" until 18 mos. As soon as she turned 19 mos she just took off! now she's 21 mos and just started putting sentences together today! I'm sure it couldn't hurt, but it's up to what you feel is right with your child....
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:21 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• No, it's not too soon. Some kids develop later, some end up having more problems - but early intervention is always best. My daughter was on the cusp of a speech delay and the county said they would provide services, but didn't recommend it because it wasn't much of a delay. You can bet she was in speech therapy from the time she was 15 months until she was 3. And when she was 3, her speech was so clear she sounded like a 6 year old and developmentally she was off the charts.
    Yes - I recommend early speech!!

Answer by missanc at 9:02 AM on Aug. 5, 2009