Breast Feeding Question

I'm not to sure where to post this question so I will post it several places.
I am a first time mom and breast feeding. My son is one week today. Breast feeding has be going great. I was wondering if anyone knows what to do about drinking and breast feeding. It is my birthday in a few weeks and I wanted to drink. I don't want to harm my son in any way. So I was wondering the rules about drinking? I heard if you have one drink every no and then that it wont hurt your milk or the baby so that is fine to do. Is that true? Also what if I want more then just one. What do I do? I havent introduced a bottle to him yet b/c i'm afraid he wont want the breast anymore. has anyone went through this? please help!!! Thanks for listening.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• pump before you start drinking, pump inbetween feedings as best you can on the day before you drink and hopefully you'll have enough to tide him over while you get trashed (NOT BASHING, I hate the fact that i can't get trashed while bfing)

get test strips to test your milk for alcohol

just ideas.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• where do u get test strips at to test for alcohol in my milk?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• ummmm i'm not sure, check online and maybe walgreens they have everything
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I personally would not recommend giving a bottle before 6 weeks, but you could have someone syringe feed while you were away if you pump milk now. I would also not recommend having one drink and nursing before the age of 3 months or so, but that is just me. To me giving my child the BEST start and what nature intended is way more important then "getting trashed".
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:16 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• pump before drinking anything, and remember it generall takes eight to twelve hours from your last drink to get it out of your system. so pump enough to feed for at least one full day
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 3:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Why do you need to have alchohol to have a good time?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I am sorry but i really agree with "rkoloms". You are a mom now and your children's needs, especially now, need to come first. Everything you ingest goes through to your milk. It is one thing to drink coffe or tea or things like that, but alcohol is not a good thing at all. If you do drink you have to wait quite a number of hours after in order to get back to regular breast feeding. In the mean time you have to pump as often as your baby would nurse to keep up the normal rate of milk. I also agree that bottle feeding early on is not a good idea unless one does not have a choice. But you do have a choice regarding this issue. Happy B-Day!!
    Noble_One

Answer by Noble_One at 5:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2009