Breast Feeding Question

I'm not to sure where to post this question so I will post it several places.
I am a first time mom and breast feeding. My son is one week today. Breast feeding has be going great. I was wondering if anyone knows what to do about drinking and breast feeding. It is my birthday in a few weeks and I wanted to drink. I don't want to harm my son in any way. So I was wondering the rules about drinking? I heard if you have one drink every no and then that it wont hurt your milk or the baby so that is fine to do. Is that true? Also what if I want more then just one. What do I do? I havent introduced a bottle to him yet b/c i'm afraid he wont want the breast anymore. has anyone went through this? please help!!! Thanks for listening.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it is suggested you wait about 6 weeks before introducing a bottle. As far as drinking goes... Here is a resource you may find helpful http://kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 8:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I always heard that the alcohol will be in your milk as long as it's in your body. So like, what? A few hours? I'm not sure how long one drink stays in you. I've also heard that pumping your milk after you drink and dumping it gets the alcohol out of your milk. Neither sounded safe enough for me, so i just didn't drink til i was done nursing!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 8:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• well i think he's too small right now bc he's probably eating every 2 hours right? bc i think they say it's best when you can have your drinks after you've nursed for the night and won't nurse again till the morning (like when they are sleeping 6 hours) to be completely safe. i would wait until he's a little older, but that's jmo
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I would get a manual pump and pump a few bottles for 2-3 missed feedings. If you only give the bottle on occasion I don't think it will interfere with breast feeding. I am not sure what the amount of hours are that you need to wait to breast feed are after drinking. I think I did see something in a magazine that tests you or your breast milk after drinking to see if you could breast feed. I am not sure what it is called.
    ariesfool

Answer by ariesfool at 8:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• If you have one drink, there's no need to pump or dump. If you can drive, you can breastfeed.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• If b/f is going well I wouldn't be too concerned about introducing a bottle. I tried out a bottle at 3 or 4 weeks and it was fine (b/f had been going great). I was told in my breastfeeding class that pumping and dumping is only necessary if you need to breastfeed while you are feeling the effects of alcohol...meaning once you feel sobered up your milk is also fine. Ideally I would pump a few bottles to use the night of your bday, but if you don't have a pump I would nurse right before you have drinks and try to space out your drinks so you don't get drunk. If you plan to get drunk you need to figure out a way to get a few bottles pumped beforehand to use for that time...although I wouldn't recommend handling your baby while you're drunk, but I'm sure you know that already :) have fun!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My personal rule is 1-2 drinks is fine, and any more then that, you should wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again. Pump, not to "pump and dump", but only if you will be missing any feedings.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It all depends on your baby I tried the 1 drink and my son vomitted so then I had to pump that and toss it. So I just waited until I was done breastfeeding. My son was fine mixing bottles and breastfeeding for my son the best bottle were the Platex drop in with the platex nipples wide mouth (the brown nipple) not the clear silcone ones he had a much easier time adjusting to those than any others.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 10:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I would limit it to just 1 drink to be safe. I have been pregnant or breastfeeding or both since November of 2005 (currently pregnant with #3) and have not had a drink once during that time. I just think it's not worth it.

About the bottle, you can cause serious nipple confusion before 6 weeks. I had to give my son a bottle when he was 10.5 months old and he never, ever would latch back on to my breast again. So, you might just find yourself having to make a tough choice about what's the more important thing to you right now.

Also, congrats on your new baby and you are so fortunate to be having a great BF experience this early into the game. The first few weeks can be tough for some moms.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• One drink is OK. Don;'t be surprised if you find you can't handle more than that...in this stage postpartum alcohol is a great sleep agent.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2009