Breast Feeding Question

I'm not to sure where to post this question so I will post it several places.
I am a first time mom and breast feeding. My son is one week today. Breast feeding has be going great. I was wondering if anyone knows what to do about drinking and breast feeding. It is my birthday in a few weeks and I wanted to drink. I don't want to harm my son in any way. So I was wondering the rules about drinking? I heard if you have one drink every no and then that it wont hurt your milk or the baby so that is fine to do. Is that true? Also what if I want more then just one. What do I do? I havent introduced a bottle to him yet b/c i'm afraid he wont want the breast anymore. has anyone went through this? please help!!! Thanks for listening.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Feed, then drink. One drink isn't going to hurt him at all. As for having more than one drink, I was never comfortable with that until they went at least 4 hours or so between feedings, even then it was one drink every 2 hours, no more. I don't officially know the official stance on drinking more than one though.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 8:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 9:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Your baby is to young to process even the small amount of alcohol they would get, yeah it's your birth day you have one every year. Welcome to motherhood.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Call your local wic office, ask for the lactation consultant, ask your question, she will give you the best answer.
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• They also sell little dipstick things that you can dip in your milk that tells you if your milk is safe for the baby or not
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• If you are safe to drive, you are safe to nurse. That is LEGALLY safe to drive, not "I'm wasted but pretty sure I can make it home". I didn't drink at all while nursing my son though. A friend of mine thinks you can drink as much as you want as long as you wait 2 hours before nursing, no matter how drunk you are. I have heard it is 2 hours per drink that you should wait. Once you don't feel it in your system anymore you should be fine to drink.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• They have kits at walgreens you can get that is like a dipstick and you dip it in breastmilk and it will tell you how much alcohol is in your breastmilk and whether or not its safe to nurse.
    sassygoddess

Answer by sassygoddess at 10:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I have a beer or 2 every now and then and i feed DD before i drink and then next time shes hungry she eats and is totally fine. I have been told alot of different things about drinking.....beer makes good breastmilk is one ive heard from alot of ppl as long as its one or 2 no more than that....if youre wanting to get drink pump some mild freeze it and have a babysitter feed baby and when youre done drinking you may need to pump and dump. Hope this helps
    AmyShaffer06

Answer by AmyShaffer06 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Your baby is too young. His liver cannot process the alcohol. If you want to drink you should: 1) Nurse the baby before drinking. 2) Express/pump your milk after drinking for the next 2-3 hours. 3) After 3 hours after your last drink your milk should be safe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Pump and give him some expressed milk. He'll be fine BFing after you've waited a few hours, or longer if you feel the need.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 10:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2009