Do you consider Hot Sauce on the tongue to be abuse?

christyg

Asked by christyg at 8:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• ha ha no my dd loves the stuff like me I craved that stuff when I was pregnant with her so I guess it passed to her
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 8:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I consider it bad parenting, but would not go as far as saying abuse. The fact is, for some kids it's no big deal, for others it can cause physical burns. And when there are so many other choices out there, yes, I find it to be a bad decision for any parent to make.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Abuse? No.
    Strange parenting method? Absolutely.
    Will I use it? Nah.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• No. But I think it's sad. Using food as a punishment is only gonna contribute to a child's eating problems, if nothing else give him an emotional aversion to spicy foods.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 8:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Depends on the age and what the child did to get that as punishment.

dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 8:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I think it's wrong. Everyone reacts differently to spicy/hot foods. A child could be SUPER sensitive to it. I think it's super mean and definitely bad parenting.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My mom put it on my fingernails to keep me from biting them. I commenced licking said hot sauce off my nails. I agree with Jellyphish though... it'd probably leave a kid scarred and afraid to eat anything spicy.
    MelanieLouise

Answer by MelanieLouise at 8:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Wait, people put hot sauce on their kids' tongues as a form of punishment? I can honestly say this is the first time I'm hearing about this! So what, if you're kid is doing something naughty you say, "Stay right there, I'm getting the hot sauce!" ..? That's definitely unusual. Not something I would do.. ever..
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I have heard of it being used when a child cusses.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 9:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• yes, but only because I hate the stuff! Yuck.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 9:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2009