If your childs teacher says your child doesn't follow directions, that would mean?

That it's a slight case of A.D.D. because they can sit still or somewhat most of the time or it means they have a learning disability or they are distracted easily because of hyperactivity.What's your thoughts?Mine,gets distracted easily and does her own thing,I don't think it's because she's on purposely being disobiedient,it's more like she gets ideas,she's currious,she's exploring but it looks bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Look into Sensory Integration Disorder

I did a search on this tonight and found some extremely helpful info thanks anon.

OP if you are worried about it try this  website http://www.incrediblehorizons.com/sensory-integration.htm

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:51 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• explain to her that it's very important to follow directions and pay attention. try practicing with her at home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• it doesn't always mean ADD, BUT its important to be able to do.
    Mine doesn't do so well at that either. I like the practice at home answer, and then you can also tell the teacher exactly what works to get her attention.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• He doesn't do what he is told when he is told to do it. It doesn't mean he is ADD/ADHD, he just may not be listening.. Practice at home, talk to the teacher and ask her to explain what he is doing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Yeah she may not stand in line when told to or not be able to look up the page number as fast as other students.It hasn't held her back a grade so it's not that big of a deal but I'm wondering if it could be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• ADHD kids have problems following directions and get distracted easily, my husband suffers from this and I suspect my daughter has it because it's an inherited problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Look into Sensory Integration Disorder.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• lots of role play. My does actually have issues but we see progress by assigning him special homework;like he has to practice staying in his seat for a specific period of time.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 5:33 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Could mean ADD or ADHD but a good way to help is talk with the teacher about some sort of incentive program they could try. a girl across from me her teacher has this chart of colors that every day their goal is to get a certain color if they get that color theres an award if they get one of the others theres not one but for instance this girl if she gets green thats the award if she gets red 1 hr with out tv blue 2 hr with out tv, and the worse color would be yellow no tv for a week stuff like that or something that works for your family.
    this girl is a hyperactive kid ( the parents wont get her diagnosed for adhd or add) my husband who has adhd says she has all the signs of it ........ but with this color code award system she has been improving in school.
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 6:46 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Is there something going on at home?

This is the first question teachers will have in mind. The thought is that if the child has these behavior perhaps the child is imitating or coping with parents behavior.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Aug. 5, 2009