Why do people think its ok to tell me what they think I should name my kid?

Who do these people think they are?? Gods gift to child naming. I would never tell someone I didn't like there name. And its not like there even nice about it there freaking rude!! On multiple occaisions I have heard "ugh cross that one off your list" or "that name has to go" WTF???? I am having a girl in 6 weeks. So far I like Mia like me uh or Jenna and I can't believe the shit people feel they can say to me. And its family that is the worst. Sorry this is more a vent then a question but has this ever happened to anyone???

Jillybeans24

Asked by Jillybeans24 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I completely understand what you're talking about. I fell in love with the name Savannah, I think it's beautiful, so that's what I named my first daughter, and my MIL complained that it was "weird". Whatever. Then, when I had my second daughter, we named her Cheyenne Star. She "approved" of the first name, but said her middle name was crazy. I just say, oh well, I gave birth to her, not you, so I get to pick the name. My advice would be, don't tell anyone what you decide on until after your baby is born, and named, and then there's not much they can say. That's her name, deal with it! Although, I do have to say, I like the names you picked, what's wrong with them?!
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• When I was trying to pick names my mom would go "I dont know how to spell that, pick another". It got so old to hear over and over again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My daughters name is jocelyn (pronounced joSSlyn for anyone who doesnt know) however a ton of my family says joSHlyn or JoZlyn so since they couldnt say it right they didn't want me to name her that. I did what I wanted and I'm happy I did... By the way i like both Mia and Jenna!
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• i guess since you are saying 2 names they think that you are asking for their opinion or their help as to what to name her. maybe say it's gonna be a surprise or something like that so they won't feel the need to offer their opinion. but just wait until she is born..... they have an opinion about EVERYTHING to shove down your throat..... something to look forward to lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• i know how you feel..when i was trying to pick a name for my daughter, everyone would tell me that the middle name i picked for her(jayne) was ugly and that i should have it be lynn..i said no thats too textbook,i wanted something you dont hear very often..i hated it..and esspecially when they try to tell you how to care for your child..its like if i needed help id ask for it.
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• i know what you mean. im 7 months along with a boy and im going to name him elijah (eli for nickname), still debating on the middle name though, either robert or dillon. i can't stand when his father (we're not together anymore) tries to tell me not to name him elijah. name your baby whatever you want, pregnancy & labor is damn hard work!
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Fortunately, no. I never had anyone tell me they didn't like the name we chose.

But, in the end, you get to name her.....no one else (well, SO's and Hubby's have some say :) ). It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks...or even if they cant spell it or pronounce it. My name has one extra letter...just one and people still cant spell it. I wouldn't change my name ever. As long as it's not something off the wall, and I dont think Mia or Jenna are, I'm sure your daughter will be fine with what you choose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• After our second we decided we wouldn't tell what baby names we picked until after the baby. That really would drive everyone crazy. I got tired of the comments.
    michelle1219

Answer by michelle1219 at 12:03 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• my family hated the name Caleb and my husband and i loved everyone told us dont name the kid caleb but i did anyways because he is my son not theres and also they will have to get over the fact
    RIP.Caleb

Answer by RIP.Caleb at 2:29 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i didn't know what i was having, so we had a boy's name picked out and 2 girl's names picked out. EVERYONE told me that they didn't like the girl's names and that we should figure out some new ones. i told them that this is my child and i will name it whatever i wanted, be it bailea or morticia (by the way, i made up morticia just to shock them)
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 11:36 AM on Aug. 5, 2009