why does my son (20 months) get sick so often?

we had a good 2 months of him not being sick and i was thankful each day. then two weeks ago he got sick w/ a fever/virus - just fever, loss of appetite and a rash. He was back to himself after one week. He was his playful happy self for a week, and now he's got a low grade fever, and his nose is starting to run a bit. I bet by tomorrow, he'll have a full on cold. and what's WRONG w/ me when he gets sick? I get so upset and down.. He stays home w/ grandparents, while I work full time. He doesn't even go to daycare. Any words of support? I guess I should just also realize how lucky I am that all he has is a cold/virus, and that we never had anything serious happen to him and go to the ER or anything...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I lived in Pittsburgh, PA my oldest son got sick all the time with cold and ear infections, eventually leading to tubes in his ears. We moved when he was 2 to Seattle...no problems. Then we moved to Georgia when he was three, and we still live here (he's 4 now) and still no problems. We went back to Pittsburgh to visit last month, and what do yo know, he gets a cold...again! So it may just be where you live! I know it sounds crazy, but it's true!
    tabc531

Answer by tabc531 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• What kind of foods does he eat? I would definitely focus on foods that will build up his immune system, cut way back on animal products and processed foods; focus on fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

Send me a message if you need meal/recipe ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Hun, there is nothing wrong with you that he's getting sick. I know that it feels SO frustrating, and I know the feeling that it MUST be mommy's fault, because mommy's supposed to take care of the baby and he's always sick. But it isn't your fault at all.
    My kid always seemed to be sick, too. Sometimes it was a cold, sometimes with a fever, sometimes he just had a terrible cough. We wound up discovering that the wall of his bedroom was filled with mold. As soon as the landlords cleared it up, (I think it's back now though, we're dealing with the same thing all over again), his coughs and colds stopped all together. I think that the first time we weren't at the doctor for a whole month, I felt this insane relief.
    But my kid just gets sick other times for no apparent reason. We don't go around our niece and nephews, we don't go out, and it just happens. Just remember that you aren't doing anything wrong. Good luck!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Hey that's strange...I live in Carlisle, PA. But then again, I know people around here who aren't sick all the time. But that's a very good point. It could just be the weather.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Allergies, my son is "sick" most of the time because he has allergies and what you are describing sounds a lot like what my son goes through. Watch and see if it is worse when someone is cutting grass, if there is a lot of dust or pollen and such.

Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 12:53 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It gets so much better! I have 4 kids, 3 who are elementary age and I remember the time when it seemed like they were always sick. But the more they get sick it seems like the more immunity they develop. My kids hardly ever get sick anymore. I know it's hard while they're going through it - but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Answer by missanc at 8:59 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• some kids just get sick. some have allergies. is he going to paly groups now, but wasn't before? he could just be exposed to more viruses as he's getting older as you and grandparents are more willing to take him places. he could need a vitamin, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My youngest son went through a stage last year where he was getting mysterious fevers every 3 weeks or so and 3 doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong ( I live outside of Pittsburgh too, BTW) They did bloodwork and throat cultures and were just guessing. I made some changes in his diet and get him adjusted regularly by our chiropractor and he hasn't been sick since January. PM me if you want to know what I did!!! It's too long to explain here.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:25 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Kids get sick...it's not your fault. I was a germaphobe mom and we had anti-bacteria soap everywhere. When people came to visit, I'd make them wash their hands. My kids still got sick..especially after they started school.

Hang in there. Soon he will be asking for the car keys and THEN you can worry! Best wishes~

realtorshelly

Answer by realtorshelly at 9:56 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I had an issue with my daughter where she seemed to be getting congested and runny noses too much for it to be teething. I changed the filter in our Air Contioner and switched it out for one that traps allergens. I also put little bowls of coals (the one's that you cook with) all around our apartment because they are suppose to draw out toxins as well. As soon as I did that I noticed a difference. To build immunity start giving a probiotic daily and colostrum is also something I give to her.
    at10206

Answer by at10206 at 1:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2009