What can I do to ease a nervous boy's transition into kindergarten?

My son has never been to a daycare or even had a babysitter that was not a close family member.

Momof2WyldBoyz

Asked by Momof2WyldBoyz at 9:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• try going like to barnes and noble bookstore and reading some books to him about going to school, first day of school/kinder, there is a children's area there and you can spend all day reading books and you don't have to buy anything, also, most likely he will see other kids there and maybe get him to say hi to some of the other kids while there
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 9:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• when does he start school? maybe find a sitter to watch him a few hours a week just to get him used to being away from you w/someone unfamiliar. most schools do a day where the kids can go meet their teachers and see the classroom etc, take him to that. put a picture of you and him playing in his back pack. explain that after whatever time during the day (ask the teacher what one of the last things they do during the day is) so say after story time he will get to go home and see you. after the first few days i'm sure it'll be all about rushing to get to school so he can have some fun. just don't let him see you being nervous b/c then he'll think something is wrong.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Before my son started school, I asked to meet with his teacher at the school with my son to give him the opportunity to check out the classroom, and get an idea of the routine and what to expect. It was very helpful for him! Best of luck!!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Call the school and see if you can get a tour and meet his teacher, explain your concerns to her she will most likely be very helpful!! And talk up school as much as you can telling him all the fun things he will be doing, making friends etc, getting a new bookbag and all that! Good luck!
    threeboysmama

Answer by threeboysmama at 1:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2009