I need help with mealtime.

My 15 month old is fighting me at every meal... it's not that she doesn't like the food, it's a matter of having to sit in her high chair. She would rather be able to walk around and do what I call "drive-by" eating. I let it go too long and now I am trying to reverse it. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else considers mealtime to be completely miserable??? Any words of wisdom or sympathy???!!!

cschwanger

Asked by cschwanger at 9:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daugher rarely sat through a meal before around 22 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Toddlers are very active and sometimes it is hard for them to sit still with this big world to explore. My oldest DD was the same way, we just put her food where she could get to it, grab a piece or a bite and off she went again. She did out grow it, most kids do, but I just didnt see anythig wrong with her eating on the go so to speak, she will learn to sit still but at this age is can be hard. If toys are in view or the tv or anything distracting you might want to take those things out if you want her to sit and eat.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• my ds in 2.5 years old and he wonders during meal time too.... personally I do not have an issue with it at this time as long as YOU and the rest of the family set the example and sit for your meal then just try and let it slide for a while longer my DD did the SAME thing it stopped around late 3y/o she is 5 and REALLY enjoys sitting at the table now like a big girl she even does her own dish! Its just their inability to sit still for sooooo long set the example pop food in her mouth a few times and call it a day.... at her age her attention span is 90 seconds so if you sit her in her HC for 10 minutes it would be like sitting you in your chair for 5 hours LOCKED IN
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I have the same problem. Contrary to what the other poster said, I found that when I put the highchair in front of the tv she is so engrossed in the tv she eats all of her food! It's like a mindless reaction at that point. I hate putting her in front of the tv but recently it has been working so that's what I've been doing. I also have a little kiddie table that she "drive by" eats at also. I let her do that for a long time but it got to the point where she was not paying attention long enough and was getting ketchup, jelly, and everything else on the floor and now we have ants. So I went back to the highchair. Let me know if you find a better solution! I could use it! By the way my daughter will be 2 next month so it will probably be awhile before your baby grows out of it unfortunately!
    Elizabethsma631

Answer by Elizabethsma631 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My kids did that too, when they were just starting to walk/explore. I don't think it was a big deal. Their attention span is so short. They outgrew it and will sit thru a meal (even in a restaurant!). Just be happy she's not a picky eater. lol Best wishes~

realtorshelly

Answer by realtorshelly at 9:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2009