Ok, so I was on my daily bike ride and I noticed a car was following me..(couldn't find an appropriate category)

I turned on a street and the car turned on the street, but it never passed me was just a pace behind me. Than I slow down to a stop and the car slowly passes me and this weirdo looking guy stares me down as he passes and then he pulls over ahead of me, I start to turn around and the guy turns his car around, than I turn again really fast and ride like hell and before he could turn around again I turned onto a trail behind a mobile home park where no cars can go and went straight home. It was scary. I pictured someone finding my bike and my picture on the news-MISSING WOMAN- I told my husband and he said for me to take a different route or wait for him to come home (which is too late), he also wants me to carry a knife. What are your opinions on this? Should I start caring a weapon?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Travel

• In the short-term I'd stop going out until I get my stuff to defend myself. I have a stun gun and mace. I would recommend you get some weapons like that along with a knife you can put in your bra. You never know what you'll have to use in a fight so having weapons in differen pockets and other areas help. Also carry your cell phone and if you can take a pic of the guy. Only if you can do it safely.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 10:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Did you get the make & model of the car? The license plate # maybe? How about a description of the driver? Personally, I would call the police and alert them to the creepy driver, letting them know that he was following you and where so that they can keep an eye out for the guy.

As for carrying a knife, I dunno about that....Do you know how to use one? Do you think you could use it w/o being over-powered or injured? Would it really make you feel any safer?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I would carry my gun, but that's just me.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• OP here, it all happened so fast I would recognize the vehicle but didn't get a plate #, I don't think I could really describe the guy without general descriptions, and I would be terrified to carry a knife and don't think I would be able to use it I have thought about carrying a stun gun but don't know how about getting one or using one
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Also, I agree with the PP, you should alert the police.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Your local police dept. might have some info on where to get something like a stun gun or pepper spray. Unless you are trained with a weapon, it would be hard to use it on anyone tho. Have you thought about taking some basic self defense classes?
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• OP- yes I am going to look into it thanks for your comments
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• If nothing else, I would at least start carrying a cell phone so you can call 911 if you needed or if you were to just get hurt and needed to call someone for help.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• carry mace and a cell phone with you, and maybe a knife, but hide the knife on you in an odd place so if you did get attacked you could get to it. an air horn wouldn't be a bad idea to have either.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Report it, definitely.

A weapon is only as effective as the person carrying it. A knife can too easily be turned against you. A gun will WORK if you're not inclined to shoot your own foot off. (I am in this category.)

Answer by gdiamante at 10:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2009