How can I get my son to go to sleep without me in the room?

My 2 year old son has to have me or his dad in the room with him untill he is completely asleep. If he opens his eyes and doesn't see us there he cries and cries untill we go sit back in the room with him till hes asleep. We have tried letting him cry it out but after 20 minutes I just cant take it and always cave in. What will it take to get him to go to sleep alone again?

swtcheeks418

Asked by swtcheeks418 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try music or a movie! That's what we do with our 2 and a half yr old. He has been sleeping in his own room since he was a yr old. We still have nights where he comes and gets in the bed with us or we have to fight with him to get him to go to sleep. But most of the time he goes to sleep with out us!
    antionette84

Answer by antionette84 at 12:38 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• you have to let him cry. my son cried ONCE for 3 hours. every night since, cries for 2 minutes and falls asleep, of plays with his bear until he passes out.
    I dont suggest putting a child to sleep with the TV, that can cause sleep problems later in life
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• you have to let him cry. my son cried ONCE for 3 hours. every night since, cries for 2 minutes and falls asleep, of plays with his bear until he passes out. I dont suggest putting a child to sleep with the TV, that can cause sleep problems later in life

And letting your kid cry for 3 hours wont cause any problems...

Kagenj07

Answer by Kagenj07 at 3:38 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Letting him cry will teach him that he doesn't need mommy and daddy there to sleep next to him. I would put whatever shirt I wore during the day in my son's crib when he went to sleep. I refused to co-sleep unless he was sick or it was an emergency.

Now, when he did cry I would let it go on for about 30 minutes and go in to tell him it's time to go to bed, mommy is not sleeping with you, you're a big boy, i love you and I will see you in the morning, get some rest. It takes time but letting them cry isn't harmful.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 7:38 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• He is manipulating you to get what he wants, and you have to stop giving in to that. Let him cry for whatever you predetermine is a reasonable length of time. Then go into his room. Reassure him that you are close by. Lay him back down. Cover him up. Kiss him good-night again. Then leave the room. You don't want him to feel that he has been abandoned, but you want him to understand that he is not going to have his way. You will have to figure out how long before you go in to reassure him. It might even be better to just go to his door and speak to him rather than going in the room. Every child is different, but they all know how to manipulate to get their own way. That's what you want to break.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:07 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It will be hard but you just put him to bed and leave the room. If he continues to cry come back every 15, 30 minutes (or whatever time you decide) to comfort and reassure him you are there and then leave the room again. It may take a few nights but he will get it eventually.

Goo luck!
    heyullama

Answer by heyullama at 9:10 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Get into a new routine and stick with it. Try story/quiet/cuddle time at the same time every night, then tell him you're going to bed too. My kids need white noise (air cleaner or a fan) to fall asleep. Good luck!
    realtorshelly

Answer by realtorshelly at 9:46 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i rock my lil one some nights but everynight im withh her til she is sleeping also she sleeps with me and also has a toodler bed for naps.i think i will stop doing that when she is around 3 or 4. i cant do the crying out metod there only young once,baby them while u can i gess.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:22 AM on Aug. 5, 2009