What is actually done when you take the glucose test ?

I'm scheduled for Friday and I missed placed the little paper telling me what I'm not suppose to be doing 24 hours before? Any advice would be appreciated.. thanx

DesignDiva21

Asked by DesignDiva21 at 10:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well you drink some nasty stuff wait an hour and then they take your blood Choose the organe i made the mistake of takeing the lemon lime you are not supose to eat a lot of sugar before
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 10:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• At my doctor's office (and the test I took) I didnt have to do anything special. Went in and drank some very very sweet, and nasty drink (I recommend orange) and sit and read a magazine for an hour and then take a blood test. You do not have to fast for the 1 hour one but you have to fast for the 3 hour test.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I think you are supposed to stop eating/drinking by 6pm the night before, And not allowed to drink anything but water that day of the test. Not even gum. Yeap I had the orange stuff...it was nasty!! And you only have like 5 or 7 minutes to drink it in. Prepare yourself for some sugar shock! If you have any questions call your doc, a nurse should be able to fill you in on that stuff or call the lab you will be perfoming it at, and ask the person who answers. Wouldnt hurt, I know I would do that..but you did the next best thing...CAFE MOM!! lol
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• you need to ask your doctor if you are doing a 8 hour or 12 hour fasting GGT. You should be scheduled early in the day. The phlebotomist (blood draw person) may or may not do a finger stick BEFORE you drink the sugar load. If you have a fasting glucose above 110 they may stop your testing. Some OB/GYNs don't do the finger stick. They may do a blood draw instead. You will then drink this extremely sweet flavored syrup. If they have different flavors for you to pick from lemon lime is ok and the orange tastes like the syrup that makes McDonalds orange drink. You will have 5mins to down this stuff. If you throw up you have to start over a different day. After sitting in the office waiting area for 1hour, they will draw your blood a 2nd time. This is a 1hour GGT. If you are scheduled for a 2hour GGT, they will draw your blood again after an additional hour. There is no special prep except not eating before the test.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 10:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Ug, that brings back memories. I haven't done that in over 2 years, so I may not remember completely, but I'm pretty sure you can't eat or drink for awhile beforehand, except water. They make you drink this nasty orange crap real fast, then you have to sit around looking stupid for an hour, they draw your blood, and you're finally done. I would call the office to check your instructions though, because you don't want to mess that up by eating if you're not supposed to, and you don't want to starve yourself if you don't have to! Good luck!
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My test was at 8 am. They told me not to eat or drink anything other than water after midnight. They said if I had to have something to eat to eat protein, like an egg, but no cereal or bread or sweet things. I didn't eat. I just waited until after. I did have a snack right before midnight, though.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• no caffine or soda before you can eat but nothing sugary so the earlier you go in the better so if you dont have to eat makes it easier..you drink the drink and wait and hr they take blood and you leave..if your levels are over even by one or two points you have to go back for the 3hr test
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• No eating or drinking. You can have water, but limit it.

At the appointment, you will have your blood drawn (sometimes they do it beforehand. I've had it done once, the other pregnancy they didn't do it). You will have to drink a glucose drink (usually orange). You wait an hour (so your body can digest) and then they draw your blood. Then they check your glucose levels. If you don't pass, they have you come back for a 3 hour test where they do a blood draw before drinking, then once every hour for 3 hours after you drink it.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 6:38 AM on Aug. 5, 2009