How do you continue to breast feed when you go to work? I know you can pump but how often do you need to pump?

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You only need to pump every couple of hours so that would cover your first break, lunch and last break. Otherwise you will be fine as long as you wear breast pads.

Answer by WisconsinDiva10 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Of course it depends on the individual person, but you can pump about every 3-4 hours (Or 2-3 times for 15 or so minutes while at work).

Most states have a law in place that your employer should provide you with the time, and a place that is sanitary for you to pump (NOT a bathroom). For more information on that, check out this journal.

Be sure to get a good quality pump (Medela Pump-In-Style or Ameda Purely Yours).

Answer by wearingyourbaby at 12:12 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I pumped every three hours after I went back to work for about 15 minutes but I did have problems with getting my breaks on time and trying to rush. I used the Medela Pump-in-Style pump which was the fastest one I could find. On my lunch break I would go breastfeed my son. I still had problems keeping up my milk production and I was only working two 10 hour days a week. When my son was 9 months old I had to start supplementing with formula because he was starting to become failure to thrive. Definately make sure you have a clear understanding with your employer on when you will take your breaks and how long they will be and that they are not optional and can not be delayed. This was a big part of the reason that I finally quit.

Answer by rasbneon at 9:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2008