Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I put this..

If you had a child from a previous relationship who received child support from their bio-dad, and your husband asked you to merge all of that money into your "joint account", would you be ok with it? Are you supposed to go by the whole, "What's yours is mine, and what's mine is yours" thing, or is this different because the money is really for her? Ultimately, all of the money would go toward expenses and such for the family as a whole.


Asked by tnm786 at 10:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 43 (159,608 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • When I was still getting child support for my son, the money was loaded onto a debit card. That way both my sons bio-dad and I had record of how the money was spent. That way her couldn't come back on me and say I was spending the money on other things like vacation or my car repairs. I did use the money for groceries and rent. Those are legit exspenses in the eyes of the law. Bio-dad has the right to documentation of how child support is spent. Don't get yourself into a corner. Probably is best to keep your childs money seperate from house-communal money.

    Answer by babyboyzz at 10:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

  • I wouldn't do it. Her father is paying child support for your daughter so the money should be used for her needs. Whatever is left over I would put into savings.
    If I would be a guy paying child support for my child it would make me really upset if I would find out that this money goes toward your bills!

    Answer by crazypink at 10:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

  • There is no rule but what is the reason he wants the money put together? That money should technically be for your child and I would be ticked that he was asking me to do that unless there was a legit reason...?

    Answer by soveryconfused at 10:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

  • Man as much as I would like to think that is a good idea if I was your dh it is really not right yes you use that money to pay for bills and such for your child but damn that money is really the childs you can save alittle of it for her when she gets older for a car or whatever she may need. Hmmm...that is a tough one.

    Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

  • I guess he wants it all in one place. I haven't really asked but I'm pretty sure that's why. I feel kinda "iffy" about it.

    Answer by tnm786 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

  • I actually do take $100 out per month and put it in a savings account for her. I haven't told him about that.. maybe I shouldn't... lol

    Answer by tnm786 at 10:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

  • I would just tell him im putting it in a college savings account thats what i do for my kids with theirs

    Answer by miss_nevin at 1:24 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

  • We have a joint account but all my son's child support goes into a savings account for him. We don't touch it.

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:35 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

  • The child support is to support the child. All of my CS goes into our household is just along with our income to support our family. Though we have college and savings accounts set up for our kids we don't divy up the child support into a specific account.

    Answer by mamakirs at 1:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2009