Dating in the dark

Anybody seen that show? What do you think about it?

Dh and I watched it last night and we both thought it was really weird, but an interesting concept. Thoughts? Something you would be willing to do or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Entertainment

• We've been watching it every week. I have mixed feelings about it in some ways. I think it is easier sitting back watching it happen to someone else than if it was happening to me, because then I dont know how I would react in the same situation.
    I can sit and say how great they are together in the dark and what a shame it is that one of them didnt want the other based on looks but Im not in the situation so I cant just sit there and judge them.
    I met my dh online. We had exchanged a pic but then talked on the phone for a while before ever meeting. Well we had already fallen head over heels for each other before meeting in person. Turns out, we were both blown away when we met at how different we looked in person. Which was for the better actually! But what we fell in love with, was the each other we had gotten to know, and not the physical aspect. But, he's gorgeous! I just got a bonus! lol
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 12:28 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I just thought it was a shame that most of the men on there didn't want the women because of their weight.
    my_jasnkiki

Answer by my_jasnkiki at 10:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It definitely shows you how shallow people can be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• In the one I saw, it was the woman who proved to be "shallow" when she left. However, mentally connecting is for friendships. For a deeper relationship, there does have to be a certain level of physical attraction. I remember this one male friend of mine telling me that friendship is necessary in a mate, but you also want to make sure you can picture having sex with only that person for life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I think it's an interesting experiment. I wouldn't want to be in a pitch black room with a stranger. I like to watch the reactions when the light goes on and they see what they really look like. It seems like a self esteem slash for most though. I feel bad when they're left on the balcony.
    lilmommy0416

Answer by lilmommy0416 at 1:25 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• OP here: Melindakc, your story is similar to mine. I also met my hubby online and got to know him before we met. We talked about that when discussing the show, that in a way it was the same thing. What surprises me about it is that after making such a connection with somebody some of the people can just walk away. I understand there should be some physical attraction in order for a romantic relationship to work, but I think in some cases that can grow over time if you love somebody enough. So why not at least give it a try? Maybe they weren't attracted to the other person, but of the ones I saw none of them were "ugly" IMO, some more attractive than others but none were horrible. I guess some people are just THAT shallow.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Aug. 5, 2009