I just got a kitten, any advice?

I kind of got it for my son for his birthday present. Not really though because he is only going to be 1, he loves my mom's cats so I got one for us.

I don't know exactly how old it is or if it is a boy or girl. We just got it tonight and it is hiding behind the furniture and running away. I just assumed that is normal.

My mom said to keep it in the bathroom at night with it's litter box and food, is that right? If so, why do I need to do that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Pets

• You do that so for one you don't have a mess everyone to clean up (it takes some time for animals to get used to their new enviroments) and two, you want to start them off in one area so they become accustom to going to that area for feedings and bathroom needs. Just keep him in the bathroom at night until he gets used to the place and then set his litter box up in one area and his food in the other (Don't keep them near each other..)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• when we got our kitten she was 6 weeks i did put her in the bathroom with the litter so 1 she knew were it was and 2 to get use to the sounds and noise im my house ( we also have a small dog and 2 adult cats ) i put a gate up in our bathroom so my adults cats and dog could go over and smell her and use the litter when they needed and again so she could get use to any noise.. but after 3 hours she learned to climb the gate and couldnt contain her in the bathroom lol she wanted to check everything out.. so i let her she did great and she wasent scared even the 3 yr old screeching kitty!!! and when she was comfortable she climb up on couch were i was and napped. i also got her a few lil toys to play with..shes now almost 5 months old and shes great and gets along with all other animals and knows when son is coming lol..yours hideing is normal she will come out when shes comfortable..my 2nd cat did that it took her 3 days...xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:15 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I kept my kitten with his litter box for a few weeks. I made a mistake one night of falling asleep with him in my bed and he was too little/too scared to leave the room and peed on my bed. But that was the only accident he ever had. we never really had to littler train either of the cats we've had. We showed them the litter box and they just used it.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 7:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2009