to the devote catholics

i was raised catholic, and today out of nowhere i started to think about the strict restrictions in the religion, like no birth control, no divorce etc. so i have a question to the people who follow these rigorous parts of the religion. if you were at a point where you could not afford any more children would you go w/b.c. or would you stop having sex?
if your s/o were to commit a severe crime and get sentenced to jail (child molesting, murder these types of things), would you stick it out or divorce?
this is not meant to be a debate i'm just curious

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 11:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Just because you choose not to use birth control doesn't mean you have to stop having sex to prevent kids! Natural family planning - look it up.
    And your marriage question is just ridiculous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I think it is a very valid question. I am interested in the responses too.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• its not ridiculous its a valid question, and you're right i didn't think of the natural family planning, b/c that has never been something i'd consider for myself, so you don't have to jump down my throat b/c of the fact that i was curious about things that were drilled into my head as a child. like i said in my question i wasn't trying to start a debate just wanted those that practice the religion to give their opinion.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Since the BC was already answered I'll go for the second. In the Catholic Church you can Divorced just not remarried and partake in the sacraments. Until you get an annulment. The examples you gave are good reasons for annulment. Our reasons come from Christ himself. the only time you can separate is the case of abuse or lewd conduct. The problem these days are that people are divorcing for very stupid reasons instead of working things out. The do what makes me happy. Relativism. My DH and I have a friend who Divorced his wife for a very good reason. She was Cheating on him to get her drugs. He had to make a choice her or the welfare of the Kids. He choose the kids. He has them and or raising them. Not even thinking about dating or finding anyone else. As he said when and if the time comes he will get an annulment. Right now no. He can partake in all the sacraments, and helps out at the Church. He's very happy now.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Tha catechism defines the reasons behind no divorce. If you think about it, maybe it's a good thing what it teaches about divorce. It's taught that divorce brings disorder into the family. It brings great harm to the deserted spouse and to children traumatized by the separation of their parents. Well, I think most of us that had parents who divorced can go along with that one. However, it does say that there is a considerable difference between a spouse who has sincerely tried to be faithful to the sacrament of marriage and is abandoned. There are instances where the church will grant an annulment.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 10:16 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Do what you feel is right. I"m Catholic and I don't follow the "book" to a T. I have three children and never been married. I love God with all of my heart!
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 4:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• As others have pointed out, Natural Family Planning is a valid option if there are just reasons that a couple needs to space out their children.  It is effective and helps the couple communicate about sex, intimacy, goals which often brings the couple closer together.

You may want to read more about the Catholic understanding of marriage here in the Catechism.  It explains not only what the Catholic Church teaches but why.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 5:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• we use NFP, you dont have to stop having sex just b/c you dont want to use artifical birth control.
    AgentBrez

Answer by AgentBrez at 6:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i'm not asking for me, i was really just curious. my parents stayed together for their beliefs and their kids. even with counseling etc..and my father was attacked a few weeks after they finally divorced by everyone at his church, including the pastor. they spent years in counseling and it just didn't work anymore for them for numerous reasons. they grew and changed too much and had too many problems that could not be worked out. none were infidelity or anything illegal just things that didn't work between them.
    and as far as the family planning, to me that would seem a form of b.c. as well. you are still trying to prevent pregnancy by doing this, and from what i was taught as a child, that is wrong. i understand more modern churches believe that abortion is worse so are ok w/b.c. but this is what the churches i attended as a child preached and it always confused me as an adult and a teen. so i was curious as to how others fe
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• and as far as the family planning, to me that would seem a form of b.c. as well. you are still trying to prevent pregnancy by doing this

Sometimes it is the responsible thing to do to space children - because of medical, financial, emotional reasons.  The CC doesn't say you have to have as many children as possible.  So if the "why" you need to postpone pregnancy is valid the next question is "how".  The reason God gave us sex is 2 fold - for procreation and unitive.  These purposes are so interwinded that they can't be separated.  But when a couple chooses to have sex they have to be open to the possiblity of having children - not actively trying to prevent it from happening.  That's the difference between valid NFP and contraception.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:24 AM on Aug. 6, 2009