If your a SAHM...do you get up at the same time everyday? Do you get dressed everyday?

Do you take a shower every morning and get dressed?

Do you have a routine?

My best friend and I are SAHMs. She told me the other day that her favorite part of being a SAHM is that she doesn't have to get up early and she can stay in her PJs all day if she wants to.

I love my best friend to death but that statement really bothered me. I feel that being a SAHM is my job and should be treated as such. I feel like being a SAHM is really important for my family (no offense to anyone who works...I think each family is different as are their needs and my family needs a SAHM) and I should give them my all just like I would a job outside the home.

I don't know...maybe I've got it wrong...What do other SAHMs do daily? Am I an odd ball or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• well i usually get up when the kids do. i shower after the kids go to bed, as for getting dressed each day, i wear sweats or yoga pants/shorts and a tank top usually. its much easier to take care of the house and play with the kids in that than it is in jeans and stuff like that. if i'm going out running errands than yes i'll put on "real" clothes. i don't do anything w/my hair other than a clip or pony tail or makeup until the kids are either taking a nap or eating lunch, and then its just a quick 5 min type thing. i take it very seriously being a sahm to my kids, but i'd rather spend the time w/them, or taking care of the house rather than getting dolled up for no one.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Unless I'm going somewhere its pjs alll day!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I am a sahm for the summer and I honestly have to say, there are other things more important than worrying about if u r dressed. Why worry when u know u dont have to leave the house, pj's are the easiest most functional option. I just hate bending in jeans.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My kids are my alarm clock. So it could be 6:45 one morning, 8:30 the next. I stay in my pj's/sweats & big tees because I want to be comfortable and I want to be able to move around with my LOs. I will get dressed and "made up" if I go out or have company. My kids stay in pjs all day too unless we are going somewhere :)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 11:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I wake up when my son wakes up.. Here lately it's been anywhere between 8-9am since i'm tryin to get him used to waking up for school but we get up, I cook breakfast, clean, do whatever I have to do. Some days I stay in my Pj's all day and others I get dressed it all depends on what I have to do and what kind of day i'm having. I see no reason to wake up and dress and get all fancied up like i'd be going to an outside job if i'm just going to be home with my son scrubbing and cleaning all day long. What's the point? If I have to go out, yes I will dress up, do my hair and make up and be on my way.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I don't know...I just feel...blah and like I'm doing a diservice to myself and my kids if I don't put myself together plus I'm not sure my husband would be to happy to come home to me in the same thin he left me in at 5am.

To each their own...I guess whatever works for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• A disservice to yourself if you don't "put yourself together"? are you broken or something? I mean seriously.. Oh and i'm sure your kids could probably care less about how you look.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Hum.

Look at it this way, a lot of people who work out of their home also just do so in their PJ's and sleep in. So, it's not a statement of reflection on the stay-at-home mom in my opinion.

I get up around 7am. I take a shower and make my bed and get dressed for the day. Some days I stay home and clean, so I don't bother with a major hairdo and makeup, but I ALWAYS put on a decent outfit.

I sometimes get to sleep in on Saturday morning if hubby gets up with DS, though. :)

My son is up around 7:30 most days.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I don't "dress" every day. I usually wear cotton knit type pants and a tank top, but not my pjs all day. I just feel scummy if I do that. Why dirty clothes that will then need rewashed when no one sees me? The more you wash the clothes, the faster they will get all crappy. I will not iron clothes to sit around the house. My daughter on the other hand has a million outfits that she will grow out of, so I dress her and do her hair every day, Me, just a hair clip or pony tail unless I'm leaving the house.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:02 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I usually goes 2-3 days without showering. I sometimes stay in the same clothes that I slept in. My home is clean and I manage to make a living from home too. Sometimes, I'll throw on a skirt without any underwear when my dh comes home....he likes that more then if I put make-up on. I figure I save money on make-up, shampoo, conditioner, soap, hair products, lotion, etc....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Aug. 5, 2009