• In the Spotlight:

IS your 8 yr. old a complete NIGHTMARE?

Mine is, awhile back maybe a couple of weeks ago or month ago she started to imitate me,like when I say no she says no and other disciplinary things I say. She also SCREAMS at the top of her lungs and she has a super loud voice from big lungs and it is so overwhelming because it's become such a habit.Whenever I say don't do this or no to that she SCREAMS NO back or anything else I've said.I do punish her,I take things she likes away from her and I do reward her for good behavior.I think alot of the conflict is from being on summer vacation,she gets bored easily and also she's going into 2nd grade ,so she's still heavenly 7 or used to be,she's changing into a 8 yr. old,do you think,you don't have to wait till her birthday,don't you think she's turning 8 now,her birthday is 6 months away but she's changing,her personality is changing ,she's not acting like she used to,with heavenly 7,that's what it was for me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We had a lot of the same problems with my stepson. We took him to a psychiatrist (the pediatrician will work too) and found out that he is ADHD.His teacher from school wrote a letter that we took with us telling the dr. that he was having trouble concentrating in school and couldn't sit still.Then we told the dr. our side of the story and then he talked to Chris and took some notes. He was put on Concerta 18mg a day.He takes the pill in the morning and he can concentrate on things a lot better and his grades in school improved SO much.We still have some behavior problems but it has gotten tremendously better!The concerta doesn't have side effects nearly like Ridilen. It says that it can cause headaches and lower appetite but he hasn't suffered any side effects.He still has his wonderful personality, but his mind is slowed down so that he can be a little calmer and think things through.Maybe you should have her tested.
    stressd

Answer by stressd at 2:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Not at all, my 8 year old is very mature and a wonderful girl. I have never seen any of her friends act the way you are describing either. Have there been major changes in your home that would cause jealousy or confusion and may be making her act out in such a terrible manner? I think you should find some new ways to punish her, obviously what you are doing is not working. Send her to BED when she acts out...and I mean SEND HER TO BED. I don't care if it's noon, she will survive. If anything she will know about every nook and cranny in her bedroom because she has to sit in silence and study it until she passes out from sheer boredom. It will get old real fast. My daughter had to do that ONCE when she was about 4...never had to do it again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Wow. You raised her. What an AWFUL thing to think and say about your own baby.
    Anonymous

• What was an awful thing to say?????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Ahhh,,,the nightmare part...gotcha...ya, probably shouldn't say that about your own child...I know you are frustrated and that is understandable. I would agree with the other ANON, try different things to let her know the behavior is not tolerated and needs to stop...like yesterday. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Obviously she knows that she can get away with it. Hard to change what she has been taught up until now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• No but my 15 month old is!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:20 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I don't think calling her a nightmare is a horrible thing to say! I say my son is annoying sometimes and its true! Go ahead, tell my mom she agrees! Then again your daughter reminds me of me... only I think I didn't start that until 11. So who knows
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:37 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I just think it would be a horrible thing for a child to grow up thinking his/her mom thinks they are a nightmare. I simply don't understand why you let this behavior START and then CONTINUE. This did not happen over night. If I am wrong and it DID happen over night then get her hormones checked.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Make sure that she understands that she has "crazy girl hormones".

Answer by rkoloms at 11:28 AM on Aug. 6, 2009