Honey, is (warm) honey safe for babies under 1 year?

My bottle of honey clearly says "DO NOT GIVE HINEY TO CHILDREN UNDER 1 YEARS OLD" in boldface type.. But it supposedly helps to move my baby's bowels. It seemed to help the other day. But I'm concerned after giving it to him=my plan WAS to give him a fingertip of honey every night... well tonight I did it after he was fussy and he URLED ALL OVER ME: CHEST TO FLOOR!!!!!
Maybe, he ate too much because he was sleepy, I am exclusive, and really want to avoid using the pacifier, so I "pop" my breast in whenever he takes a breathe from his sleepy-cry. But, he's never thrown up so hard with so much and then fell off to sleep within 10 min. So, I'm concerned about the effects of the honey. What do you think?

MsJC2U

Asked by MsJC2U at 1:27 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ok, I see he's only a month old. What is making you think he is constipated? Breastfed babies can go up to 10 days without pooping. It's ok. They absorb just about every bit of nutrition from your breastmilk, unlike with formula there are so many other things in it that aren't needed. And as the vitamin drops, they don't need that either. They get EVERYTHING from your milk. And yes, about 10 minutes a day in the sun, with sun block :) is good for the vitamin d. Your baby needs NO juice or anything right now! NOOOOO WATER either. Water this early can mess up their kidneys. JUST YOUR MILK!! If anything, if it's been past 10 days with no poop, or baby is straining really really hard to poop, take a butt thermometer and maybe do this in the bathtub, take his temp like you would, wait a couple seconds, and he should poo poo. Only do that if NEEDED! Because it can make him not want to poop on his own.
    Kristenn

Answer by Kristenn at 2:27 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• You aren't supposed to give honey to a baby... like the bottled stated!! DUH
    http://kidshealth.org/parent/question/infants/honey_botulism.html
    http://www.healthgoods.com/education/Health_Information/Children_Health/hold_honey_baby.htm

Google it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• they are deffinately not supposed to have it.

infants should not be fed any honey products, including baked goods with honey in them. Infant botulism is a type of food poisoning that can result in death.

Infant botulism can be deadly if not recognized early, and because of the widespread nature of the toxin, parents should recognize the signs of botulism, which begins with constipation. An infant suffering from botulism will also exhibit nervous system damage, which manifests as muscle weakness. As a result of the muscle weakness, infants with botulism will cry more weakly, have difficulty feeding, and have a limp and floppy appearance. Infant botulism also results in lethargy.

if he is showing any of these symproms i would take him to a doctor.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 1:42 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Thanks... I just found that link! I gave it to him as advised by someone because he was constipated and I am trying to avoid giving him medicine when there is likely a natural way to prevent or help move his bowels (like taking him outside for sun=Vitamin D instead of giving him the poly-Vi-Sol made by Enfamil). AND I only just read the bottle tonight... so I'm freaking a lil bit... it can be up to 30 days before I notice something is wrong with him!!! I'll be praying that I haven't made a horrible mistake!
    MsJC2U

Answer by MsJC2U at 1:47 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• No... And please don't give Karo syrup either. It carries the same health risks as honey.

Next time try apple juice or an enema.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i think u should contact ur doc- he can get botulism from the honey and that can be deadly to babies- please please please no more honey there is a reason for the warning in bold print- gosh.....
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 2:14 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• if u ever have this problem again give him a sugar water miixture- thats what my doc said- and if u dont want to give a bottle then change ur diet- the only reason he is constipated when u breastfeed is because of something ur eating
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 2:17 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Try natural gripe water for the constipation and gas at this age.....there is a reason why they state NO HONEY.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 12:47 PM on Aug. 5, 2009