we have a puppy and he has roundworms ...................advice wanteed pls

we have a puppy and he has roundworms his vet first gave him a pill which he took for 10 days then a liqued med. for the same amount of time i haven't seen anymore worms in his stool and to me his swollen belly has gone away but we won't find out for sure for another week......well my question is is it okay to let him run around our home since we hav a 3 year old or should i wait til we know for sure i'm so paranoid and i just want us to finally enjoy him without any worries any advice?

n_o71605

Asked by n_o71605 at 2:01 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Pets

• i would personally wait to be sure. i'd rather know that the puppy was locked up for no reason, than know that i let the puppy out to have fun and play and that caused my son to get sick. ya know? maybe your vet can see him sooner so you get the results sooner? or you could let the puppy run around outside a little longer than just long enough to go to the bathroom that way the puppy still gets some play time and you don't feel guilty not letting him play.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:04 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• do you have to wait a week just because that's when his next appointment is? at the vet clinic i worked at people could bring in stool samples for us to check without the animal and without an appointment. see if yours will do the same.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:09 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I agree with MaMaLaLa. My current vet and my last vet would let you bring in stool samples without the dog.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:26 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• dewormers kill the worms, but don't kill the worm eggs.. this is why it is suggested that you worm at 6, 8, and 10 weeks.. after killing the first round of worms, it usually takes the leftover eggs 2 weeks to hatch and grow.... it is important that you catch this round of worms before they are mature enough to lay more eggs.
    roundworms are horrible and disgusting.. we had a problem with them once before.
    ew...
    katatrinakay

Answer by katatrinakay at 3:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2009