does it bother u when certain churches focus to much on tithing.. like make 1/4 of every service time brought to it..

for me .. i agree with tithing .. but to much talk like brain washing pisses me off
sorry

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• can't say i've ever attended a church where a quarter of the service was spent talking about tithing..in fact, the 'offering/tithes' time in any of them (and i've gone to church since i was a babe) has lasted oh, maybe three minutes, depending on the size of crowd/building. not nearly that long, considering the services are anywhere from 1-2 hours long.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 2:34 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I see nothing wrong with it. if EVERYONE would tithe like there supposed to maybe the preacher would not have to talk about it so much. ROFL
    BabyBoyMatthew

Answer by BabyBoyMatthew at 2:43 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I dont see anything wrong with it cause its in the bible ... Unless they preach it every week then yes LOL
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 2:44 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• The Word of God wants us to pay tithes and offerings.
    If you are being fed there then you need to help keep the doors open for others to come and also eat of the Word.
    I believe that there should be an offering basket where people can put the money in as they walk in or out of the church and not embarrass people who do not tithe.
    It is not wrong for the minister to bring it up; but, it is if it is brought up too much for 2 reasons.
    1. He is not depending on God to supply the needs of the church building and the bills for it.
    2. He needs to ask only a few months apart.
    Is it a young church?
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 4:13 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Yes, it would! I believe tithing is a spiritual necessity, but it should not be mentioned in every sermon.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:45 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I've never attended a church like that. Any church I have gone to announce tithe time, say a prayer ad say that it is said to tithe in the bible, if you give God will give back to you, they take they tithe and move on. Sometimes they will tell the story of the widow, saying that you shouldn't feel ashamed if you can't afford to give, that a dollar her or a dollar there with the right heart is worth more to God than thousands of dollars for the praise of people. but it's always just a short intro. Nothing more. I think it is important to tithe, and I like the way it is handled at my church.

Aeterna

Answer by Aeterna at 7:44 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Oh wow. I wouldn't like that. I'm LDS and we pay tithing, but we are never preached to about it over the pulpit. There might be a lesson in Sunday School or something that will touch on paying tithing and the blessings that come from it, but it would really bother me if my Bishop stood up and chastized people over the pulpit about it.

We don't pass around a plate in church or anything though. We just pay it on our own. It's a very private personal matter. We just fill out a little slip and put it in an envelope with a check or whatever. You either mail it through the mail or hand it to the Bishop at church and he gives it to the people who take care of the funds for the church.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Even though I'm not Christian, my family wanted me to get my dd baptized. I was almost going to just to keep the peace with them...but when we went to the meeting at the church, all the lady talked about was how we had to start going to church again and, most of all, GIVE MONEY every time! Even though we told her we were barely able to pay bills ourselves at the time, she kept going on and on about it, it was really annoying...and it made me decide I really don't want anything to do with the church...pissed off relatives or not.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:19 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I actually agree with BloodBought. I do not believe that passing of the plates needs to be a ritualistic part of any worship service but that each person should privately be able to give what the Lord lays upon their hearts. My husband does not get paid every weeks so we can not always tithe every week. When he does receive a paycheck, we give to God from that paycheck. I am sometimes self-conscious that others might be wondering why I'm not giving. I am great friends with most of my fellow church members so I know they're not judging me but I can't help but judge myself when I have to shake my head and mumble "I don't have anything this week" so that the plate passes me by.

I believe tithing is a necessary act of faith. God has given us all we have; we ought to be able to give back as well as support the church that gives us spiritual support and a place to worship together.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:25 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• oops! I forgot to mention, that no church I've ever attended preaches about tithing. If I went to a church that had a sermon like that two weeks in a row, I'd never go back. I just listened to a sermon online that told people not to wear or buy certain things for themselves because you can't put those things in the offering plate and that money should go to God.....then they asked for a donation lol. God wants our first fruits. He never commanded us to not be able to enjoy nice things and the residual fruits of our labor!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:27 AM on Aug. 5, 2009