ok...someone educate me...

I was reading the question on induction, and I was induced with my DD because I was over due. I had no idea it was bad for the baby, so please no bashing. But can someone explain to me why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Because sometimes once you start the procedure you can't stop. You may not progress well or the baby might get hung up. Then it would lead to a csection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Not only that but if the pitocin is set too high, it can send the baby into distress and force them to do a c-section. It doesn't happen every time but it has become more common. I was induced with my first child and it is not something I will be doing again.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 3:07 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i was induced w/my first. i did not progress at all for 2 1/2 days (induced fri morning c-section sun night) i had contractions but no dilation. it can lead to problems w/the babies heart rate among other things. it is not something i will ever do again, b/c as far as i'm concerned it did me no good anyways. most of the reasoning behind it is b/c it can lead to an emergency c-section and that ups the risks of complication for mom and baby.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:18 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Wow! I didn't even realize inducing is bad... I'm glad I read this (I apologerm eize, this is a comment rather than an answer) I gave birth to my daughter 9 years ago.. I was very young & didn't do any research... I was induced twice because I was over 2 weeks due and they told me I had to be induced. I only dialated 1 cm in 2 days of labour & had to have an emergency c-section. I had a seizure during the operation & had to be put to sleep right after baby was out... this has got me really curious... are there long term effects on mom & or baby? I am trying to get pregnant again & need to know the facts! Thanx & sorry for adding a question to a question! :0)
    Mrshappy26

Answer by Mrshappy26 at 4:08 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It is bad because baby might not be ready and thus lead to problems with baby (if baby was ready than you would have gone into labor). It leads to an increased risk of c-section (thus long term effects on mom's body). I was induced after being 10 days overdue. My doctor did not give me a choice eventhough baby and I were both fine. After 30 hours I was forced into a c-section eventhough baby and I were fine (there was a holiday coming up and my doctor didn't want to have to come in).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:54 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Isn't it frustrating that doctors don't fully explain the risks of this procedure? What is never mentioned is that due dates are estimates. Statistically, preterm complications are much more common than overdue complications. The average woman gives birth at nearly 41 weeks, so I've never understood why we're overdue at 40 weeks, you know?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:20 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• The medication can effect the baby long term, it can cause delays, sensitivity, disabilities etc. Depending on the medication used it can even kill both mother and child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I would discuss your concerns with the doctor with your next pregnancy. Sometimes induction is very important. I was strep B positive so they needed plenty of time to give me antibiotics. It was a good thing too, because they started the induction at 8am and she was born at 11:30am. My son was also an induction (my first) and he was born vaginally 10 hours later. He about didn't make it through the canal (they had to use suction) and I had a 4th degree tear. If he had went any longer I probably would have had to have a c-section. I have heard that being induced is more painful, because the pitosin (sp?) makes the contractions come hard and fast.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• In some cases, induction is a very good thing.

I've never spoken to a doctor who would do a non medically necessary induction before 40 weeks, most won't do it after 41 weeks, some even 42 weeks.

Maybe this is just because I've had a stillbirth, but I know of several people who have had stillbirths because they went overdue and the placenta stopped working.

And techinically you aren't "overdue" until 42 weeks.

I wouldn't be induced unless there was a medical reason until 41 weeks.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:22 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It's not necessarily the drug that is bad (unless it's Cytotec, which is rarely used anymore). It's more of the sea of interventions that Pitocin (the most common labor inducer) leads to. It usually leads to an epidural, which does have risks to mom and baby. Least of which is a dazed mother and newborn. If the induction doesn't progress in a timely manner (time limits are up to the attending doctor, but usually fall on the Friedman Curve [about 12 hours]) or if the fetal heart rate declines, the doctor could decide to label the birth as "failure to progress" or "fetal distress" and end up in having a c-section, along with all of those risks (it is a MAJOR surgery and lots of people don't think of it that way). Pitocin is a synthetic version of a hormone your body naturally produces during labor (oxytocin). Only Pitocin isn't "smart" enough to control itself like oxytocin. It causes your uterus to continuously contract.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Aug. 5, 2009