My five month old had his first bit of rice cereal today..

I mixed a tiny bit with breast milk and it came out to be a little less than a tablespoon. I fed him almost all of it and he seemed to really enjoy it. I waited about two hours to nurse him to sleep and he slept for about thirty minutes (woke up screaming) then didn't want to anymore so we stayed up about four hours since he ate the cereal. He was fussy at the breast but wanted to nurse to sleep. He was drifting off and almost asleep and then starts bursting out screaming!

Was it the cereal? Could I perhaps have given him too much or could it have bothered his stomach?

All in all, my husband and I decided to hold off on solids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Kellymom on iron

Kellymom on cereals as first food

My life with IBS and why I care so much about how early YOU introduce solids to YOUR baby...

I did not use baby food at all with my second; just soft fruits and veggies starting at about 8 months.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:11 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i think it was just him being a baby....i dont think it was from the cereal...4 1/2 hours later.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• maybe he wanted more?? I fed my baby rice cereal at 3.5 mos and she loved it. I did it twice a day and started adding flavors by 4 mos. If I didn't give it to her, she got really fussy!!! the different textures and tastes is so new, and my dd loved every bite. It's another form of stimulation and playing for them.... of course, it is your call 100%!!! It just sounds like he really liked it to me... and no, I don't think it was the cereal making his tummy upset.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:13 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My son did the same thing. I stopped feeding him baby food. Made only real food. I gave my kids cream of wheat and oatmeal (ground fine) Look into homemade baby foods. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Solids before 1 year are for experimentation, not nutrition; all your child needs at this point is bm. Grains can cause their own particular issues and I would skip them all together.

If solids are started before a baby's system is ready to handle them, they are poorly digested and may cause unpleasant reactions (digestive upset, gas, constipation, etc.). Protein digestion is incomplete in infancy. Gastric acid and pepsin are secreted at birth and increase toward adult values over the following 3 to 4 months. The pancreatic enzyme amylase does not reach adequate levels for digestion of starches until around 6 months, and carbohydrate enzymes such as maltase, isomaltase, and sucrase do not reach adult levels until around 7 months. Young infants also have low levels of lipase and bile salts, so fat digestion does not reach adult levels until 6-9 months.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:06 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I agree with the PP. If he loved it, maybe he did want more! lol :) My DD was the same. Once I started feeding her cereal at about 4 or 5 months, she would flip out when she saw me stirring it up. I couldn't get it to her fast enough! lol And Like the 1st post said, over 4 hours later is LONG for a LO. Their tummies aren't that big. Now, for us...4 hours after ... let say McD's........blah!!! I would be fussy too!! lol :)
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 12:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2009