Keeping Wicca traditional

How do you feel about it? Now I'm not talking about witchcraft i am talking about The Wiccan religion.

How do you feel about the insta wiccans(you know the ones who read one book and think there a wiccan)

What about the people who really do read and research and now there stuff but never have been formally trained in a coven and have been initiated?

I personally think you can not call your self wiccan if you have not been trained and initiated by a high priestess or high priestof a coven. I think the wiccan religion has been mucked up by the Insta Wiccans i thinks thats why Wicca has a bad name too.I'm not trying to bash now lol honestly im not.

Oh and i am not wiccan by the way. I just want to know what other Pagans think of this topic

autumnsunris113

Asked by autumnsunris113 at 3:34 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm Pagan, not Wiccan. But Wicca is sorely misunderstood even among those who practice it. I am for keeping Wicca Traditional. Wicca has an equal duality; being a magical lodge and a religion at the same time. One nestled within the other.

Insta-Wicca is nothing more than the Outer Court which is a great stage to grown and learn. Those who are dedicated to learning are those who are desired for the Inner Court, a coven, the magical lodge, even if they never choose to do so. But learning is the goal and it shows they are truly dedicated to Wicca, the religion.

I have no problem with the Outer Court calling themselves Wiccan. It does not take away anything from the Inner Court. Do not the laws say to stay hidden? How else is best to hide but within a large Outer Court? But I do prefer to see covens stay traditional, with initiation, dedication and training. This is where tradition counts the most.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:10 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I am not Wiccan either, I am a Pagan. I think it is important to do research before dedicating to any path. But there are many people don't have the choice having a coven or HP. Many live in little towns with no other Wiccans known to them. 

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:54 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Very true very true

autumnsunris113

Answer by autumnsunris113 at 4:02 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• To anyone that is new to Wicca I have suggested they search for online communities and even meetup.com. It is important to learn from others who have been in your chosen path longer than oneself.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:04 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Yeah Witchvox is another good one too. And you might find some on paganspace

autumnsunris113

Answer by autumnsunris113 at 4:07 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I agree with pnwmom. Also I want to add, just bc one has no formal teacher doesnt limit their ability to learn. I have never had access to a hps or hp, bt I have poured over knowledge daily for hours. I have taught myself from as many resources as possible. When I sent out a call for a teacher, I got spirit teachers. Not physical bt definately there. And although I dont have formal training, I would say that I have had to struggle harder bc of it, made more mistakes, learned personally. I would say I have been trained, just in a different way, and that maybe what is right for me. I know that in school not everyone learns best from the public school way. Why would learning magick be any different. That being said, I do resent "insta wiccans" (or pagans) which by my definition would be "i read one book and now I am an expert" or "spirits told me I had to be the leader even though i am brand new at this." or
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 4:46 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• "magick is cool so therefore i am an all powerful wiccan even though i dont know anything about it, bt arent I trendy?" Those ppl make me angry.

Then again, i dont call myself wiccan. I am a shamanistic eclectic witch. Or a pagan.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 4:49 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Why don't you back those words with a name.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:40 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• She cannot pnwmom. Names have power and if her god has none, then she most post anonymous. You cannot rebuke the devil without faith right? She doesnt have enough to even post her name, her words are a testiment to her power. Weak and faithless.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 5:44 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• That is cowardly to call other peoples kids names and hide behind the blue question mark.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:48 AM on Aug. 5, 2009