help please

My 28 month old son has a cold sore, he's had it for about a month now. He keeps picking at it so it won't go away and now he has his entire bottom lip sore and torn up. Does anyone know of someting I can put on his lip to make the cold sore go away? I've tried to get him in to see a doctor but Hawaii is so damn stupid I can't get him in anywhere. He isn't sleeping well and I feel so bad that I can't help him, it's breaking my heart. Can anyone help or should I take him to the ER? Please help me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him some tylonel to help with the pain, get some abreva for the cold sore, and neosporn for his lips. I have put abreva on my youngest when she had a cold sore and it seriously worked, but I also put a triple antibotic like neosporn on over it and over her lips to help heal and prevent infections. I just thought of this, if his lip is itchy give him some allergy med like bendedryl it should relieve the swelling and itching but the side effects will help him sleep too.
    kjb9585

Answer by kjb9585 at 5:00 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• carmex maybe
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 6:10 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• carmex works great. Or lanilian if you have any.

You'll just have to watch him like a hawk to keep from picking it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• AW. :( Can you just CALL your Dr.? Sometimes the PA or a nurse will give you some advice. I feel bad for your...best wishes.
    realtorshelly

Answer by realtorshelly at 9:37 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• If you can't get him into his regular dr, you might have to take him to the emergency room. A month is quite a long time for a cold sore, even on an adult, it could be something else.
    Besides cold sores are caused by herpes virus, he'll be in worse trouble if he gets any of the gooey stuff in his eyes or around his genitals.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:38 AM on Aug. 5, 2009