Anyone believe in letting a baby cry it out?

What type of logic is it? I use to believe in it too before having DD.

mschanng

Asked by mschanng at 6:20 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes I do believe in crying it out. If you go to answer every little cry then you will wear yourself out continuing to do so. It is not harmful, neglectful or abusive to let a child cry when they aren't hurt, wet, dirty or need to be fed. If you run to every little cry then it doesn't help the child learn to soothe themselves and that is something they need to learn to build self esteem. They can cope alone without mommy there. There is nothing wrong with it.

I had the same issue with my son when he was younger. He would cry at the little things thinking I would come running to pick him up and save him from going to bed or taking that afternoon nap. Sorry big guy, you need rest and so do I. It took us about a week or so to break him of the crying in order to gain attention.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 7:21 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I don't believe in it especially under the age of 1. I have a 2 year and 4 year old that self soothe just fine and learned it on THEIR schedule not when I FELT they should. I am with you OP, I just don't understand the logic of teaching a child mom/dad will NOT be there when I do need them. I see so many kids at the playground who are clingy whiny kids and when I talk to the parents they just don't understand why their kids are like that since they followed all the "rules" and let them CIO and everything and they still ended up with a clingy child. My children are very independent, but they also know that if/when they do need me I will be there for them.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:39 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My mother in law tried telling me to let my daughter lay there and cry her first day born! No, I don't believe in that. It depends on the age and the situation. You know your child better than anyone else and even at one yr you know if they're playing you or not. For the most part I didn't let her cry it out and when I tried her dad stepped in anyways. The only time I let her cry it out was when she didn't want to sleep in her bed. After 2 nights of listening to it for about 30 min. It stopped.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 8:09 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• when babysitting my little cousin, i let him CIO. his mom and dad hold him constantly and i refuse to do it. and i tell them that i let him CIO. if he's not hungry, wet or hot, he will cry. i dont hold DD all day long so im not gonna do it with him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• The logic is that I'm doing what's best for my child, not necessarily what's easiest for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I let my daugher cio. There comes a point where they just get clingy and will fight sleep and do anything for attention. Once you start giving into it, they will go for longer periods thinking you will give in. So at bed time, if she's cranky or over tired but I know she's been fed, is dry, and is not sick, I will let her cry. I can't waste my time getting up every hour at night when she makes a peep. THis isn't healthy for me or her. I'm teaching her to self soothe and go back to sleep on her own. Otherwise, she'll have sleep issues later in life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It depends. I could always tell by the cry, what was bothering her. Baby's learn almost immediately that crying gets them attention. After about 6 months, i could tell what type of cry meant what. Sometimes she would cry because she was tired, i usually would let her cry it out then because she would be asleep shortly anyway. Also, the first poser was kind of right. If you go to her every single time she cries, then she will learn to manipulate w/ crying. It's always good to at least wait a lil bit, depending on what the problem is so that they know your not going to bow down to them every time they whine. I think it's OK to let them cry it out, but if they are crying for a LONG time, i think it can do more harm than good.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:10 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It's one of those things that work for some but not for all. If you don't want to do it then don't, no one is forcing you. I don't see the logic behind a lot of parenting techniques but I don't really care because if I don't want to do it, then I don't.  I don't care why other people raise their children the way they do, because it has no effect on me. 

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:38 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I did it, no problems, they need to learn to soothe themselves, My kids were closer to 6 months when we did it and it only took a night or two of about 15 minutes of crying. For others, if their kids are younger or if it goes on for an hour or more, I can see it being an issue.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I don't believe in it- AT ALL! Crying is the only way babies have to communicate. When they stop crying because you aren't responding, it's because they realize your not there for them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Aug. 5, 2009