How many of you mommies changed your opinion on certain parenting things once you had your child?

A few days ago, my husband mentioned that when I was pregnant with my now 11 month old daughter I kept saying that I would never do this or never try that. I swore up and down that I wouldn't let my daughter watch TV, and sure enough she's in her play yard watching Blues Clues as I'm typing this...she even has her own DVD library of Baby Einstein and Elmo =) I also swore that I would breastfeed until she self-weaned, but I gave up after about a month because it was just too painful. Is there anything you changed your opinions on once you actually had your baby?

Crystal2509

Asked by Crystal2509 at 6:21 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hey, before I had kids, I was the perfect mom. I've relaxed a lot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Yes... I find that with 4 mo DD, I am a totally different mom that with 7yo boys. I didn't believe in spoiling the child by carrying them, but now, I constantly want to carry DD. She's become my life and I also swore I wouldn't have a favorite, but it seems that I do... And I don't like that aspect at all b/c growing up I wasn't my parents favorite and it showed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:30 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Oh definitely! I was only going to nurse a year and the first was 18 months and the second is going strong at 27 months now. I would not become my mother and in many good ways I have, I struggle to keep the bad out though. They would sleep in their own crib in their own room and now both kids cosleep with DH and I and everyone loves it! Truthfully though a few years before I had kids I had my perspective changed a lot by one of DH's friends wife's who is now a close friend. I never thought I would nurse or cosleep or try natural child birth and after a long conversation with her I did/do all of those and more.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:35 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• There is a good quote "I was a great mom, till I had kids!" And for me it is true! I think of all the things I said I would or would not do, and at the end of the day you do what works for you! And I think doing what is right for my family in the moment is doing good, it is later learning that somethings are not ideal and trying to make the necessary changes to correct them!

We all make mistakes, it is what we learn from them and change what matters!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 7:57 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i was different...mine was more like "my child will never do that!" I though my children would be the most perfect kids...the child screaming in the store? my child will never do that! the child having a fit because they want dinner NOW? my child will never do that! child coming home with a bad note from school? my child will never do that!
    Well...when my oldest came home from school on the first day of kindergarten with a note because she cut off this girls hair...yeeaaaa..
    or when my youngest has a complete and utter meltdown in the middle of the store and i have to carry her out? yeeeaaa....

never say never!!!!!!!!!!!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:09 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Good job adjusting your parenting to your child and your life. There are a million choices you will need to make and not all will be the right ones. I have changed my views not only since having my boys but since they have become teens/tweens! BTW- the perfect Mom's on here are either very isolated from others (who would hang out with some of these people) or full of it. Those in the middle are balanced!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 8:31 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Before I had my daughter, I was a firm believer in spanking as a form of discipline. Now I'm not so sure. I question vaccines, too.
    LKRA

Answer by LKRA at 8:54 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Yes, i said that kids should be spanked when i was pregnant. After the first time spanking my child, i SWORE that i would never do it again.

Like wildboyz said, we need to adjust to our children, & do what works for us. I think eveybody at some point in their lives, say they are going to do one thing just to find out that the other way works better.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:55 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It often takes about six weeks before breastfeeding becomes more physically comfortable and routine. It took 7 weeks with my first before I started feeling like it didn't hurt too much to keep it up.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:56 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I always said I would never let my DD stay over night anywhere until she was about 5 or 6 well she stayed at her GG's (great grandma) house last night, she's 17 months old. I also said she wouldn't be a spoiled brat and guess what she is mostly because she has daddy wrapped around her little finger and everyone else that she knows LOL so much for that.......
    Babe587

Answer by Babe587 at 9:09 AM on Aug. 5, 2009