If you're BF (breastfeeding) and have a cold do you take cold medicine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I normally skip a sudafed type product that dries your sinuses, because it can affect milk supply. But now that my baby is 10 months, if I had a bad cold, I'd take it once to get through the day. A dip in supply is not an emergency in a baby taking solids, and it is temporary. The baby will nurse it back up in a few hours.

I don't depend on doctors and pharmacies for drug info while nursing. Unfortunately, they don't have any. I check kellymom or a book called Hale's Medications and Mother's Milk. They have accurate info rahter than "just don't do it." Most meds are very safe to take.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:24 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• There are some you can take. Its best to call the pharmacy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Check www.kellymom.com. In general though anything that dries up your sinuses COULD dry up your milk slightly. I personally stick with a nasal flush to help with the sinus stuff and then just get plenty of rest (I know easier said then done with kids).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:00 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I take Tylenol brand products, call your OBGYN, if you can take it while preggo it is same for breastmilk. And I have never had a problem with supply when taking them.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:29 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Basically, cold medicines are worthless anyway. Increase your Vitamin C intake and fluids.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:26 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I took Dimetapp.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• tylenol products are the only thing u can take
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:19 AM on Aug. 5, 2009