I'm a single mom who's starting to date again

so im a single mom..and im starting to date again..when is the right time to tell them about my son?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• Do not hide your son. I was a single mom for years. No one I dated, to me, was good enough to come in to hang out with my son. My son and I have a very special bond and it's been he and I for years. I remarried in February of this year and DH and I didn't move in together till March. Odd I know. We started dating in the summer of 2007 and did not bring our sons in to this until around Thanksgiving of 2007. We both knew the other had a son but we wanted the dating to be about us first, then the kids and see where it went from there.

Do not hide your little boy. He is a part of you and always will be. I would not introduce your son to this man until you know he is someone you feel comfortable having around your son. Wait awhile on that.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:17 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• From the very beginning. He should know you have a son, but shouldn't meet him until you know it's something very long term. My dh and I dated for 6 months before he met my kids, and even then he was introduced as a "friend" of mine and the kids actually thought he was there more to play with them than spend time with me. It was a long time before we started being affectionate in front of them.
    I dated as a single mom - any man who doesn't accept that you have a child isn't someone you want around anyway.

Answer by missanc at 8:39 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• never hide your children, it has to come out. There are many single men out there w/ children too, & there are many single men that like children but do not have any. My fiance has no children, & does not want one of his own. But he is smitten w/ my daughter, to him i guess that's all the child he needs.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:22 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• immediately

Answer by admckenzie at 9:39 AM on Aug. 5, 2009