Would you take my advice? Don't give lollipops to your children.

I have my son in the stroller when a old lady comes to me to tell me not to give my toddler lollipops...."no good" she said.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Hmmm in that case I would just smile at the old lady and walk away. I do give my 3 yr old dum-dum suckers. They are just the right size for him, and most of the time he sucks on it for a little while and then throws it away- he does not eat all of it.
    He does not get them alot-- once in a while, and he is good about brushing his teeth.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:46 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• what else did she say besides that? maybe she was worried that little kids could bite off the pop and choke on it. I wouldn't worry really. Your gonna be getting lots of advice. Just keep your cool and remember that whatever your kid is doing they could know a child who was doing something similar and was hurt. If your son was ones or twos no worry. If he's younger than one then just watch him super close. People are weird.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My daughter gets them from her doctors office. They are sugar free and really the only ones she gets. What's wrong with that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Toddlers can choke on them. But I'm sure everyone children are just fine... My doctor's office doesn't give them, and warns that until after two or three, they are a huge choking hazard. Is that your question?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:21 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• They improve concentration. I homeschool. When we read or do math we use chewing gum or lollipops to help focus. Learned it from an occupational therapist. It stimulates the brain because of the sensory input. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I let my 4yr old daughter have dum dums if she stays dry all day. Also, from the bank. I refuse to let her chew gum!

I worked with a lady who let her 5yr old grandson chew a half piece of bubbleicious and it got stuck in his throat. They could see it, but when they tried to pull it out it just kept streching. How scarey.

I understand the rational that you're there to watch them, but just because you're there, doesn't mean you can fix the problem if it does happen.

And I don't think the sugar is such a big deal if it's portioned and you help them brush their teeth frequently.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 9:40 AM on Aug. 5, 2009